'Coywolves' in New England

Ha! I knew it! Because everytime i see pics of coyotes that others post..i always say to myself...those are small! I've been saying that ours must be mixed with wolves or something..... I actually said that on another thread a while back..because the ones we have here are BIG! And almost look like wolves...
Well..now i can tell my neighbors this...because they swear they are wolves also...(we have a pack that lives on our road..). Good info to know...thanks..

That IS interesting!! I know we arent in New England but we have some huge coyotes around here. Like redhen, every time I see a picture posted it doesnt look anything the size of what we have.
hmm.png

I am from Central PA and a local Sportsmens club holds an annual coyote hunt. The largest coyote killed wins the grand prize and I don't believe they have had many here over 45-50 lb range. According to the article the NE ones are over 50 lbs. Ours were referred to as coydogs some 20 odd years ago when they first started showing up.

Here's one from last week in my yard in Western Mass. Certainly bigger and more rugged looking than the coyotes I've seen in the West, or even in the South.
12125_coyote2.jpg

Last edited:
Their coats vary considerably which can also make them appear larger or smaller. The coyotes in Arizona look like Wile E Coyote, the ones in the north are much fluffier.

I have seen a few coyotes with a similar coloration, but I do not believe they are cross bred with a wolf. Last time I saw a pair of wolves near a coyote the wolves were about to kill and eat the coyote. They saw us and took off. Wolves went northeast and coyote headed southwest.

You know that pic looks photoshopped to me.

greyhorsewoman who is that cutie as your avatar? I have 1 red and white and 2 tri colored ones.

Quote:
I agree those are just eastern yotes, which are larger. Wolves would not cross with coyote in the wild. That like them trying to cross with other prey, they hate yotes. If raise as cubs together yes they may cross. Male coyotes would mate with wild dogs. But females wolvies are in a pack, which would not let any coyote around, male or female. Heck they want even let another wolf join their pack.

Back
Top Bottom