Cracked corn

Thanks CrazyTalk,
I didn't think I was getting technical either.

I know that there are lots of newbe's and non-tech chicken owners on here so I try to keep it simple.

I stated feeding only corn has bad results which it does his response states all the good points of corn both of our points state corn only is not a good feed choice. I couldn't care less about the other posts. I simple stated that I have some young hens from a guy who feeds straight corn and they are severely stunted. My point was to let others know of this experience so they don't make the same mistake. I never said not to feed a mix containing corn. I specifically said feeding corn only is not good nor is feeding scratch only.
My response was in response to post 13 in which a member inquired about feeding scratch only which Chris agreed with me. Prior posts talk of feeding corn as a supplement or in other words a treat type feed. Not feeding it and nothing else.

So unless you can explain to me how the member asking about their scratch only diet was talking about feeding a complete feed you really are contradicting yourself.

Last edited:
I was amazed to find this out. we have 4 ducks that were eating mostly feed. we ran out and my boyfriend always put cracked corn out for the wild ducks so he just fed them corn and they didnt have much to eat on the land - after 3 weeks i found out he was only feeding them corn only. i picked up one of the ducks and he was all breastbone. sure enough they all were that way. i got feed and 3 weeks later they were already fat as butterballs. i assume this happened because corn could not replace all the nutritional needs? thanks for the great info!

I can't say with certainty about your birds, but I can say that without a complete nutritional diet, any living thing will suffer.

Corn alone will not meet the nutritional requirements for ducks, or chickens.

Here is my 2 cents, I hatched 2 batches of chicks this spring, one for myself and another for a friend, my chickens are about a month older, and were fed a diet of chick starter feed when little then moved to the coop and fed what the big ones got, layer feed and also free ranged on whatever they could get, and thrown a scoop or 2 of scratch on the ground every day or 2. My chicks are very large and filled out the roosters got huge and started crowing the hens are very well formed and larger than any of my original hens from the hatchery. Well I decided it was time to get rid of some roosters and my buddy who took the other batch of chicks I hatched ended up with only 1 rooster out of 20 some chicks and he wanted chickens to butcher, so I told him don't kill the hens I will trade you some of my roosters for some of your hens. He brought over 8 of his hens and I couldn't believe what they looked like. They are the size of chicks just after they feather out and start flying around the brooder however they were born in late April or early May. He couldn't believe the size of my birds and I asked what he was feeding them and he said cracked corn as he couldn't get them to touch scratch and they free ranged, I told him he needed to switch to a decent chicken feed immediately or his chickens won't amount to much if they even live. I stuck to the trade, took his 8 little hens for my 8 grown roosters. I have them in a brooder and have switched them to a commercial feed in hope that I can somewhat curb their stunted growth but I may just end up with miniature hens.

I say cracked corn is not a good feed, it is a supplement at best or a "treat". Sure it will add a little nutritional value which may help in the winter but if you are going to feed it as a main feed you will have problems.

Just curious, what ever became of your little stunted hens? Were you able to rehabilitate them?

Just curious, what ever became of your little stunted hens?  Were you able to rehabilitate them?

One died a couple days after we traded and another was killed by a skunk 4 others turned in to roosters once they got enough feed to be able to actually grow so I only ended up with a couple hens out of the deal, I really don't know if they lay or not as they live in the coop with all the others. I did get them up to size I can't even tell which ones they are now but my friend who still has the rest of that batch of chicks still hasn't gotten an egg and it's been over a year. I'm sure a good amount of his birds were roosters as well but he couldn't tell very well due to how bad they were stunted

One died a couple days after we traded and another was killed by a skunk 4 others turned in to roosters once they got enough feed to be able to actually grow so I only ended up with a couple hens out of the deal, I really don't know if they lay or not as they live in the coop with all the others. I did get them up to size I can't even tell which ones they are now but my friend who still has the rest of that batch of chicks still hasn't gotten an egg and it's been over a year. I'm sure a good amount of his birds were roosters as well but he couldn't tell very well due to how bad they were stunted

Good for you for trying to help them. I feel sorry for the chickens who aren't being taken care of by your friend (I myself, wouldn't consider him a friend anymore). Maybe you could ask him if you can have them so they could all get the proper nutrition? Just a thought.... Anyways, it's really none of my business, I just don't like when animals aren't taken care of properly. Good for you though for getting some of them up to speed.

Good for you for trying to help them.  I feel sorry for the chickens who aren't being taken care of by your friend (I myself, wouldn't consider him a friend anymore).  Maybe you could ask him if you can have them so they could all get the proper nutrition?  Just a thought.... Anyways, it's really none of my business, I just don't like when animals aren't taken care of properly.  Good for you though for getting some of them up to speed.
well he didn't know he was doing anything wrong he thought it was ok to feed them corn only until he saw the size of my chickens then he realized something was wrong. He supposedly did start feeding a chicken feed after that but the damage was likely already done. If it were me I'd have killed them all and started over a long time ago, a flock of hens that won't produce doesn't last around here, one or 2 favorites can stay and live out their lives but not a whole flock

well he didn't know he was doing anything wrong he thought it was ok to feed them corn only until he saw the size of my chickens then he realized something was wrong. He supposedly did start feeding a chicken feed after that but the damage was likely already done. If it were me I'd have killed them all and started over a long time ago, a flock of hens that won't produce doesn't last around here, one or 2 favorites can stay and live out their lives but not a whole flock

Oh, well at least he tried to make them better.

Back
Top Bottom