Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

shouldn't be a issue though. theres only 4 people with Empordanesa really and they are just fine :) they have been here since 2004
That's good to know!
smile.png

Does anyone have Cream Legbar/Brown Leghorn chicks? I am wondering what they look like when they are 6 weeks old. I didn't mark my crosses and some of them have escaped their brooder, gotten mixed with the other chick breeds. I am so confused !

Hi enola,

didn't I read someplace that when they wanted to expand the genetics of gold legbars they could just introduce brown leghorn? So the chicks (females) should look like Cream Legbars when grown... because the males would be only single barred they may be harder to spot (to spot the spot of the head spot LOL) If your X was CL roo over brown leghorn hen. In theory your females would be gold legbars (with blue eggs and crests - both of which they would be heterozygous for....)

Does anyone have Cream Legbar/Brown Leghorn chicks? I am wondering what they look like when they are 6 weeks old. I didn't mark my crosses and some of them have escaped their brooder, gotten mixed with the other chick breeds. I am so confused !

They look just like a light brown legbar pullets generally. The pullets will be identical to normal legbar pullets, the males will get a very dark breast that will show through as soon as the chest feathers come in. That is assuming that you did the CL roo on leghorn hens. The other way around will yeild light brown pullets and single barred males which will still be obvious

Any one have chick or chicken pictures of CL sire X Isbar dam?

From what I can determine 100% Barred offspring and 50% of those would be blue barred. Anyone try it? Any white head blotches to designate males. How do the chickens look??

ChicKat yes 100% barred from the CL roo. You will not be able to sex the chicks by "head blotch" as they each get 1 barring copy from their dad, males and females. It would be an interesting cross! And green eggs from them!

Thanks flying & Rinda,

wasn't the brown leghorn the out cross that Punnett recommended to add new blood to gold legbar, and in that case I guess it was only the pullets he was considering (which is what people wanted anyway back in the day..) Or is it all so long ago we have forgotten -- I know I have..I think it was in his paper that showed his 'formula' to make CL.

Appreciate the insights y'all.

Last edited:
I bred a legbar male to rose comb leghorn hens and also a few basic light brown leghorn hens this year. Pattern wise, they are hard to tell the difference but type is where I see the biggest difference in a good way.

Hi all!

I dipped my toe into the CCL pool with a bunch of eBay eggs. The first batch was a bunch of Olive Eggers, some sex-link F1 (FBCM x CCL hen) and the eggs were huge and blue and, unfortunately, scrambled by the USPS so didn't get any. Also in that batch were FBCM x F1 OE and we got one chick of undeterminant sex, but a fat little black feather-legger that we hope is a pullet (deep kalamata style eggs). Named it "Pat"

So the second batch of CCL eggs arrived and some are CCL x RIR....glad to see the pics here on what the chicks will look like. And some pure CCL that were advertised to lay "large blue eggs" but what arrived were *maybe* medium-size green ones...indeed the smallest eggs I've set so far. If it's the same roo as the CCL x RIR, I'm hoping the RIR will increase the size of the egg. I'm a tad concerned that any CCL I get out of this batch will lay the same color and size.

Back
Top Bottom