Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Here is an updated pic of my autosexing mongrel pullet. Her mother was my silver ambar and the father is a legbar. She has a small pea comb and bright yellow legs. She was raised by my show leghorn hen and is basically feral. Her face reminds me of a pheasant or something.

Day 20 and I have a CCL x RIR overachiever that pipped and zipped in under 3 hours.

It's a GIRL!!!!
wee.gif

(and the lone survivor of that batch of shipped eggs)

Last edited:
Well, the shipper of the eggs on her website mentions that if it has a white dot it's a boy, but if it's chipmunky it's a girl.

But at the moment I'm having my doubts as the usual sex-link cross is red male and barred female...and this seems the opposite. Or do CCL's have such a strong sex-linkage that comes through if only one parent is CCL?

Anybody have any input?

Well, the shipper of the eggs on her website mentions that if it has a white dot it's a boy, but if it's chipmunky it's a girl.

But at the moment I'm having my doubts as the usual sex-link cross is red male and barred female...and this seems the opposite.  Or do CCL's have such a strong sex-linkage that comes through if only one parent is CCL?

Anybody have any input?

The Autosexing feature is pretty strong, so normal sex-link rules might not apply as usual....but they may...My Legbar rooster over white Silkie hen produced easily identifiable chicks :thumbsup

I have 2 CCL x RIR chicks that both hatched with chipmunk striping. They are now 5 weeks and feathering in well, but unless that information you were given is correct, I can't say for certain yet whether they are pullets or not..... I really do hope so, because I am wanting them to be olive eggers. If anyone knows for sure, please put us out of our uncertainty!

The 2 legbar chicks that hatched with them are clearly one pullet and one cockerel and the other 4 which are exchequer leghorns are not showing any noticeable sex traits yet, so I will just have to wait a bit longer.

But at the moment I'm having my doubts as the usual sex-link cross is red male and barred female...and this seems the opposite. Or do CCL's have such a strong sex-linkage that comes through if only one parent is CCL?

Anybody have any input?

The auto sexing feature is lost if they aren't crossed to the correct breed.

Both the CL hen and CL cock do have traits that can be used to create different types of Sexlinks. If in your case the CL is the hen and the RIR is the cock then yes they will be Sexlink, males having the head spot. If the cock is the CL then both genders will have the headspot and sex will remain unable to determine at hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom