Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

I contacted the shipper/seller of the eggs and she said *in her experience* with her eggs they were sex-linked as mentioned. I am hoping she is indeed correct.

I have 2 CCL x RIR chicks that both hatched with chipmunk striping. They are now 5 weeks and feathering in well, but unless that information you were given is correct, I can't say for certain yet whether they are pullets or not..... I really do hope so, because I am wanting them to be olive eggers. If anyone knows for sure, please put us out of our uncertainty!

The 2 legbar chicks that hatched with them are clearly one pullet and one cockerel and the other 4 which are exchequer leghorns are not showing any noticeable sex traits yet, so I will just have to wait a bit longer.

Did your cross come from Westmoreland, TN?

I am not expecting an OE from this cross but an EE, so green eggs. I don't know that the RIR produces a dark enough brown for OE. On the sale site I don't see an olive-colored egg anywhere....

Can you post pics of your birds? It'd be interesting to know what the future holds...

Quote:
Hi

No, I've bred them myself.

Quote: Yes, this is the same cross as I have done and the 2 chicks were both chipmunk with no head spot whatsoever.

My RIR is a dark mahogany heritage type RIR and her eggs are reasonably dark, so I am hoping the eggs will be olive if I have pullets, but I have 2 Black Copper Maran pullets that will hopefully create Olive eggers if the RIR cross doesn't produce the desired result. I'm also not sure if my CCL cockerel is homozygous or heterozygous, so I may be unlucky and just get brown eggs.

I haven't got any photos as I've only just got a new camera phone and haven't figured out how to use it yet. Will let you know if/when I manage to snap something
hmm.png

The cock is the CCL and there is NO head spot....just a chipmunky chick.
Because the CL male only passes on 1 barring gene the headspot isn't always noticeable.

A Cream Legbar male is double barred meaning he always every time without a doubt will pass on 1 barring gene to both his sons and daughters meaning that both genders as they mature will be barred. There is no way this can be considered sexlink, and CL male on his own can not pass on his auto sexing trait.

Does the chick have a very tiny faint head spot? Even a slight golden dot on its head?

These are chicks hatched from my CL male crossed to a cochin hen notice not really any visible head spot and both chipmunk striped.
They are a female to the left and male to the right

This pic below is a group pic of 6 chicks of the same cross. 4 are male the 2 chick in the center(top and bottom) are pullets

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi

If this is correct then my CCL cock clearly isn't double barred because out of 14 chicks in my first hatch from him with an araucana cross hen (splash marking), 12 were barred and 2 (males as it turns out) are predominantly white with the odd black splash like their mother and some red leakage coming into their wings, but no barring whatsoever. The barred offspring are a mixture of males and females of course, so I'm not suggesting any sex link there, just that 2 of the males aren't barred.
I assume the barring gene must be dominant over every other marking gene for your statement to be true.

I must be honest, I was not looking for a head spot with the RIR cross, because I did not expect them to be sex linked, but they both had a very dark brown central stripe to their chipmunk pattern and any white fluff would have been pretty distinctive I think. I can confirm that they are now barred, as they feather in though.
The two pure CCL chicks in the same brood both exhibited the auto sexing trait as I would expect. The male was paler with an obvious head spot, whilst the female was very similar to the RIR crosses with a strong chipmunk pattern. As they have feathered out the male is still much paler, but there is now a noticeable difference between the female and the RIR x chicks which are more red/brown.

I can also confirm that the hens had no access to any other cockerels.

Hi

If this is correct then my CCL cock clearly isn't double barred because out of 14 chicks in my first hatch from him with an araucana cross hen (splash marking), 12 were barred and 2 (males as it turns out) are predominantly white with the odd black splash like their mother and some red leakage coming into their wings, but no barring whatsoever. The barred offspring are a mixture of males and females of course, so I'm not suggesting any sex link there, just that 2 of the males aren't barred.
I assume the barring gene must be dominant over every other marking gene for your statement to be true.

I must be honest, I was not looking for a head spot with the RIR cross, because I did not expect them to be sex linked, but they both had a very dark brown central stripe to their chipmunk pattern and any white fluff would have been pretty distinctive I think. I can confirm that they are now barred, as they feather in though.
The two pure CCL chicks in the same brood both exhibited the auto sexing trait as I would expect. The male was paler with an obvious head spot, whilst the female was very similar to the RIR crosses with a strong chipmunk pattern. As they have feathered out the male is still much paler, but there is now a noticeable difference between the female and the RIR x chicks which are more red/brown.

I can also confirm that the hens had no access to any other cockerels.
Your CL male is more than likely double barred. Both genders from your cross will have one barring gene, some chickens might display the bars more so than the others. The barring gene doesn't need to make the bird fully barred so spashes can still happen. Here are some examples below of my CL cock X SLCochin hen.

Here are 2 of the male chicks I posted a few posts back they are CL x SLCochin cockerels. They display markings like their silver laced mother but if you look close to the hackles they have barring in them also in the under fluff barring is slightly visible and also some tail feathers.

Here is a pullet of the same cross, like her brothers she shows lacing like her cochin mother but also display some not so obvious barring from their CL father in her hackles, under fluff and tail.

It might be possible your 2 splash males are just hiding their barring. Then again I suppose I may be wrong and someone please correct me if I am, but I feel confident in what I am sharing.
Do you have pics of those birds from that CL cross? Id love to see your hybrids
smile.png

Last edited:
Here is a pullet of the same cross, like her brothers she shows lacing like her cochin mother but also display some not so obvious barring from their CL father in her hackles, under fluff and tail.
Chicken Pickin

That is such a pretty hen... It does look a LOT like a photo I have of a chicken with two different genes on the E-Locus... so only 1 of the E-Locus genes is e+ (Wild Type) as I would expect a CL to have...makes for a pretty chicken though. :O)
Looked it up and I'm pretty sure that the E-Locus of anything silver laced is ER and the S-Locus is of course S/ where as the CL is supposed to be s+. Interesting stuff huh! But then in her particular case, I guess she got S-Locus from her CL father - so she is ER/e+ and s+ --- so that's what that combination (plus some other genes in there like Barring and the lacing gene...Looks like - I have always wondered!) Which explains some of the pattern variations in Some CLs - once someone introduces other E-locus combinations. This really helps me understand some of the females that end up with dark edges to the breast feathers. But to add to the fun - some of the dark edges don't come from combinations like that one - that I know of. Some females have dark edges, that seem to disappear as the grow to adult.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom