Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Love that I found this thread! Love all the pics of your crosses ♥️ I’m thinking my girl may be a bluebelle? (CLB x Welsummer) any thoughts on her mix?! I thought she was just a CLB but she’s a cross of something

Attachments

• D847E1AF-93B8-4469-A7D3-23B3DA0807F5.jpeg
    D847E1AF-93B8-4469-A7D3-23B3DA0807F5.jpeg
    742.9 KB · Views: 15
Love that I found this thread! Love all the pics of your crosses ♥️ I’m thinking my girl may be a bluebelle? (CLB x Welsummer) any thoughts on her mix?! I thought she was just a CLB but she’s a cross of something
Your girl looks almost exactly like my Skyline, which is some sort of CCL-derived hybrid here in the UK.

I also have a Bluebell hen who is supposed to be a cross between a RIR and a Blue Maran. The Bluebells at the farm I visited were all mid-to-light grey in colour.

So I have a fun CCL hybrid saga to post about if anyone is interested in speculating with me.

I have a Rooster named William, pictured below:

20230621_150014.jpg

I was told his father was allegedly a Shetland Chicken, and his mother was unknown. He is quite compact, his feet are somewhat fluffy with dark feathers, pale yellow shanks, single comb, quite an impressive crest, and he is barred all over.

William was housed with an ex-battery hen, Coco, exact breed unknown. Medium in size with pale yellowish white shanks. She is pictured below:

20230621_150213.jpg

Coco and William have a son, Johnny Cashew. Johnny is massive, single comb, yellow shanks, slight cresting, also slightly barred, and looks like this:

20230621_145920.jpg

Both William and Johnny have lavished attention on Henrietta, who I believe to be pure CCL. She has a single comb, impressive cresting, yellow shanks, and lays blue eggs:

20230609_095938.jpg

Henrietta had 11 babies from a hidden nest. We know all the eggs were hers as she is our only blue egger. The babies turned out very mixed and I have been amusing myself with trying to guess whose dad is whose, and if they could have sex linked traits. I'm new to this whole chicken genetics game, but find it fascinating.
Below are some pictures I took today of Henrietta's brood (4 weeks old). She's got all sorts, black, brown, caramel, and white. Some have chipmunk stripes and eye stripes, some have pale head dots, some are barred, some are solid colours.
Would anyone here be able to hazard a guess at
A. William's potential parentage (I'm guessing cuckoo maran somewhere perhaps because of the barring and feathery feet?)
B. Coco's battery breed
C. Which chicks could be from which sire and potential sexes.

Chicks are pictured below... it is impossible to get great photos of them on their own because when they are awake they move too fast and are skittish from being free-range broody-raised. When they are napping they tend to be in a big pile.

20230621_145004.jpg 20230621_144536.jpg 20230621_144809.jpg
20230621_144834.jpg
20230621_144112.jpg
20230621_144019.jpg

That's all I could really get this afternoon. They are around 4 weeks old today. I have some pictures from when they were a few days old if that helps, or I can dive out and try to get some specific chick pics again if there are certain ones with specific traits that need expounded upon.

If you've stuck around this long, thanks for reading!

Last edited:
From what I've read and what questions I've asked, it seams that CCLs can produce sex linked crosses with silver based birds, which are red sex links but lighter, and with black hens under the CCL cockerels, because of the barring, forming a classic black sex link. However, that will also work when crossed to other chipmunk striped breeds IN THEORY, because the white head spot should still be visible just like a pure bred CCL, however this is as yet untested.

Brilliant advantage as EEs because of the sex linkage.
You reckon these 2 black chicks are going to be males? They are cross cream legbar cockerel x daisybelle (black) hen. Would be a shame as they are my favourite chicks! Better not get too attached to them...

Attachments

• 2black1whiteA.jpg
    2black1whiteA.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 2
Since I opened this thread, I will repost an item that I posted on the cream legbar thread. Enjoy & Comment!

Apparent Confirmation of Transmission of Cream Legbar Autosexing Traits

Earlier, I had posted some pictures of the results of crossing cream legbars with an EE hen and RIR hens. This came about initially to keep three males who had reached sexual maturity prior to the cream legbar pullets. This allowed the pullets to grow without too much harassment from the juvenile males. It worked as planned. So on a whim, I decided to hatch some of these eggs to see what would come of this crossing. i was curious as to whether the autosexing traits could be transmitted.

When the three chicks hatched, I was fairly certain that the trait had been transmitted. The CCLxEE roo appeared to have a white spot on his head. Feather sexing also indicated that this chick was a roo. As you will note from the pictures at one week below, it does appear that the autosexing trait did transmit to this first generation cross.

Hatching pictures of CCxEE Roo

CCLxEE Roo at one week

Note what appears to be a definitive white spot on his head as opposed to a "cap" exhibited by other barred chick varieties. While certainly a case may be made for the chipmunk stripping on this chicks back, my feeling is that this more attributable to the EE inheritance.

For reference:

EE Mother of CCLxEE Roo

Father of CCLxEE Roo and CCLxRIR Pullets

With respect to the CCLxRIR crosses, each of these chicks exhibited strong chipmunk stripping as well some RIR striping from the back of their heads. Feather sexing also appears to indicate that these two chicks are pullets.

The following pictures are of the CCLxRIR pullets on hatching day:

Pullet #1

Pullet #2

The following pictures at one week of age are much more definitive. You will see heavy chipmunk striping and CCL eye liner as well as the RIR center strip down the back of the head. What you will not see is any indication of a white spot on the head of these chicks.

Pullet #1

Pullet #2

Both chicks together

This has been an interesting adventure. Thoughts?
What do you think these will be:
The white one is a cross between Light Sussex (white) hen and Cream Legbar cockerel and seems to have a little bit of a 'chipmunk' stripe. The brown one in the back will be girl because of the obvious stripe. Any ideas on the other ones?

Attachments

• cleaning.jpg
    cleaning.jpg
    962.8 KB · Views: 2
So I have a fun CCL hybrid saga to post about if anyone is interested in speculating with me.

I have a Rooster named William, pictured below:

View attachment 3550789

I was told his father was allegedly a Shetland Chicken, and his mother was unknown. He is quite compact, his feet are somewhat fluffy with dark feathers, pale yellow shanks, single comb, quite an impressive crest, and he is barred all over.

William was housed with an ex-battery hen, Coco, exact breed unknown. Medium in size with pale yellowish white shanks. She is pictured below:

View attachment 3550795

Coco and William have a son, Johnny Cashew. Johnny is massive, single comb, yellow shanks, slight cresting, also slightly barred, and looks like this:

View attachment 3550799

Both William and Johnny have lavished attention on Henrietta, who I believe to be pure CCL. She has a single comb, impressive cresting, yellow shanks, and lays blue eggs:

View attachment 3550804

Henrietta had 11 babies from a hidden nest. We know all the eggs were hers as she is our only blue egger. The babies turned out very mixed and I have been amusing myself with trying to guess whose dad is whose, and if they could have sex linked traits. I'm new to this whole chicken genetics game, but find it fascinating.
Below are some pictures I took today of Henrietta's brood (4 weeks old). She's got all sorts, black, brown, caramel, and white. Some have chipmunk stripes and eye stripes, some have pale head dots, some are barred, some are solid colours.
Would anyone here be able to hazard a guess at
A. William's potential parentage (I'm guessing cuckoo maran somewhere perhaps because of the barring and feathery feet?)
B. Coco's battery breed
C. Which chicks could be from which sire and potential sexes.

Chicks are pictured below... it is impossible to get great photos of them on their own because when they are awake they move too fast and are skittish from being free-range broody-raised. When they are napping they tend to be in a big pile.

View attachment 3550835View attachment 3550836View attachment 3550837
View attachment 3550838
View attachment 3550839
View attachment 3550840

That's all I could really get this afternoon. They are around 4 weeks old today. I have some pictures from when they were a few days old if that helps, or I can dive out and try to get some specific chick pics again if there are certain ones with specific traits that need expounded upon.

If you've stuck around this long, thanks for reading!
Very interesting how your chicks got all different colours. I had Harvey the pure Cream Legbar cockerel mate with pure breeds Light Sussex (white) and Daisy Belle (black). They too have a colourful mix of colours: black, white, brown and one greyish. I do hope the black ones are girls, but this is probably wishful thinking. Mine are now 3 weeks old, although these pictures are from a week ago and the running one is today's.

Attachments

• black2WeeksS.jpg
    black2WeeksS.jpg
    837.4 KB · Views: 4
  • cleaning.jpg
    cleaning.jpg
    962.8 KB · Views: 4
  • white_chick_running.jpg
    white_chick_running.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 4
Very interesting how your chicks got all different colours. I had Harvey the pure Cream Legbar cockerel mate with pure breeds Light Sussex (white) and Daisy Belle (black). They too have a colourful mix of colours: black, white, brown and one greyish. I do hope the black ones are girls, but this is probably wishful thinking. Mine are now 3 weeks old, although these pictures are from a week ago and the running one is today's.
These are the mothers:

Attachments

• drinking_hens.JPG
    drinking_hens.JPG
    911.9 KB · Views: 4
With the CL being the dad, both the boy chicks and the girl chicks will inherit one barring gene. So you won’t be able to sex them that way.

But at least from your light sussex hens, those will be a sex link match. All the gold chicks will be female, and all the male chicks will be silver split to gold. So any yellow chicks are boys.

That doesn’t help with the black chicks. You will have to wait on those.

Grey chicks? My guess is those would be silver based chicks with some black patterning? If silver, then boy. Do you have current photos? They might be old enough to sex by photos now.

With the CL being the dad, both the boy chicks and the girl chicks will inherit one barring gene. So you won’t be able to sex them that way.

But at least from your light sussex hens, those will be a sex link match. All the gold chicks will be female, and all the male chicks will be silver split to gold. So any yellow chicks are boys.

That doesn’t help with the black chicks. You will have to wait on those.

Grey chicks? My guess is those would be silver based chicks with some black patterning? If silver, then boy. Do you have current photos? They might be old enough to sex by photos now.
Thank you for your answer. They are now 4 weeks old and these are the most recent pictures. What do you mean by 'gold chicks'? Are those the brownish ones? And what are the 'yellow chicks'?

Attachments

• P1050559.JPG
    P1050559.JPG
    404.6 KB · Views: 5
  • P1050551.JPG
    P1050551.JPG
    558.4 KB · Views: 6
  • P1050547.JPG
    P1050547.JPG
    836.9 KB · Views: 7
  • P1050546.JPG
    P1050546.JPG
    965.9 KB · Views: 5
  • P1050569.JPG
    P1050569.JPG
    717.5 KB · Views: 7
Thank you for your answer. They are now 4 weeks old and these are the most recent pictures. What do you mean by 'gold chicks'? Are those the brownish ones? And what are the 'yellow chicks'?
Yes, the gold chicks are the brown looking ones. Yellow chicks are ones that have yellow down at birth and then grow white feathers.

So your reddish colored chicks are pullets and your white feathered chicks are cockerels, if they come from a gold based father and a silver based mother.

As far as your black barred chicks, I only see one in the photos, and that one appears to be a pullet at this point. Do you have more than one black barred chick?

Back
Top Bottom