Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

They are a very rare breed here in the US and endangered in Spain. I started a thread for them but as of now, I only know of 7 of us who are beginning breeders of Pita Pintas.

The Punta Pinta are a variety of Euskal Oiloa (Basque hens). Originally there were five varieties but one is believed to be extinct. Two varieties are found in the USA, mostly the marraduna basque and more recently the punta pinta. In Canada, you will find mostly marraduna and the gorreia. The marraduna are a yellow bird with gray barred tails. The gorreia is a red colored bird.

To get more information on the EOs, check out the EO Forum: http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewforum.php?id=6

The Punta Pinta are a variety of Euskal Oiloa (Basque hens). Originally there were five varieties but one is believed to be extinct. Two varieties are found in the USA, mostly the marraduna basque and more recently the punta pinta. In Canada, you will find mostly marraduna and the gorreia. The marraduna are a yellow bird with gray barred tails. The gorreia is a red colored bird.

To get more information on the EOs, check out the EO Forum: http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewforum.php?id=6

No, not Basque hens but part of the same program from Spain to save their heritage breeds.

Basque hens came from the basque region and the pita pintas came from asturia.

It is easy to make that mistake because of the language barrier though.

In Spain there is an SOP standard for Pita Pintas and another for EO marraduna basque.

Last edited:

Megan posted pics of her Pita Pinta as well as her Basque on this forum and I think that's where things got confusing.

Sevens a good bit i think. I was surprised.
Well, genetic diversity is pretty low because all the birds have come from Megan's original flock. Only 2 of the 6 actually have hatched any. The other 4 got chicks from me this year. Fortunately, we are all within a 4 hour radius of the Bay area. I need to check with Megan and see if she has sold eggs to other breeders.

separate breed

Well, genetic diversity is pretty low because all the birds have come from Megan's original flock. Only 2 of the 6 actually have hatched any. The other 4 got chicks from me this year. Fortunately, we are all within a 4 hour radius of the Bay area. I need to check with Megan and see if she has sold eggs to other breeders.
that's because the norcal thread is so cohesive and easy to get other people enthusiastic!

shouldn't be a issue though. theres only 4 people with Empordanesa really and they are just fine :) they have been here since 2004

oh but still its better than none at all.
thumbsup.gif
So true! I love this breed and I'm very thankful to have them! The Pita Pinta/Cream Legbar crosses are very nice birds, too!

Back
Top Bottom