Cream Legbars

In comparison our weather has been cool (low 90s) and very humid and our Cream Legbars are laying every day still. They are the only girls who haven't been heat affected.
Maybe 100 is the cut-off. "100 and up -- no eggs, sorry ma." My Cream Legbar with the crest pants more earlier and later and harder than the one without a crest, and even my EE has more or less shed her beard - which is weird, she looks like a chicken with a single wattle (maybe she is?)

One of my two 4 week old CL males has a crooked comb - is this something that will grow out okay or should I not keep him for breeding? I have an older male as well.

Here's my older trio with their EE buddy.
He is a very nice little guy. The one I raised that had a diagonal comb like that -- eventually flopped the diagonal comb -but later it straightened to upright,which surprised me, but the diagonal remains. The diagonal - sadly won't go away IMO.

Since The rooster is 50% of any hatchlings genetics, it could be that if you used him for breeding purposes, he would get a comb from his mother that wasn't diagonal...but although I hope lonnyandrinda's comment is correct, I don't think diagonal is something that can be grown out of. You may want to select your other rooster for breeding.

Is there a post on any of the Cream Legbar threads that shows the colors (maybe with arrows pointing exactly at which feathers) that are desired/undesired. Specifically having trouble wrapping my head around gold vs cream (and maybe we could throw in silver just for completeness), and also chestnut (what is it, where is it "okish" vs "not okish").

Is the drawing by Diane Jacky of the Cream Legbar pair facing eachother a good reference for the Cream color that is being aimed for?

Finally, what makes a squirrel tail squirly?

I'm sure this has been covered a million times and I can find all kinds of posts refering to these colors/traits but I can't find one that says "This is IT and this is why" so if you know of one that you can quote or link to that would be awesome.

Is there a post on any of the Cream Legbar threads that shows the colors (maybe with arrows pointing exactly at which feathers) that are desired/undesired. Specifically having trouble wrapping my head around gold vs cream (and maybe we could throw in silver just for completeness), and also chestnut (what is it, where is it "okish" vs "not okish"). Is the drawing by Diane Jacky of the Cream Legbar pair facing eachother a good reference for the Cream color that is being aimed for? Finally, what makes a squirrel tail squirly? I'm sure this has been covered a million times and I can find all kinds of posts refering to these colors/traits but I can't find one that says "This is IT and this is why" so if you know of one that you can quote or link to that would be awesome.
Welcome to BYC and to the Cream Legbars!!!

Some the answers to your questions are still a bit up in the air. There is actually a Cream Legbar Club - and recently a survey went out to members about their needs from the Club - and one of the outstanding things that surfaced from members is exactly what you are asking -- What is 'right' or 'best' or 'correct' -- using pictures (photos) to show us.

Diane Jacky is an awesome artist - and I have been in email contact with her. She acknowledges that the most preferred Cream Legbar is a bit lighter than her illustrations -- (but let's not go crazy here Cream Legbar folks) -- The painting technique also does't quite show the soft barring that is desired, but painting is difficult at best -- just get out your watercolors anyone who disagrees and try for soft barring.

In the thread here -- and it is long, long, long -- There are pictures and discussion on that topic, and some of it is still open ended to a degree IMO....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...oup-standard-of-perfection/1470#post_11764623

The Cream Legbar Club is working to educate people about the breed, protect and promote the breed, and obtain acceptance for the breed by the American Poultry Association. (Hence the need for a "Standard of Perfection".......)

As yet, no one has THE quintessential Cream Legbar to use as an example...... but some people are getting close --

I can answer the one about squirrel tail....to my understanding at least. A squirrel tail is one that the bird holds upright and it goes to 90-degrees from the angle of the back or even farther ---- and the reason it is undesirable is that the bird is un-thrifty - which is kind of Poultry talk for a dud egg layer. And I can attest to that because I have one here now that has a squirrel tail and she is a failure in the egg-laying department. - - Incidentally she also lacks a crest. And the club is being helped by one of the members of the APA who is a judge and it was Walt that mentioned WHY the squirrel tail is bad.

Keep asking and checking -- consider joining the Cream Legbar Club to get updates as the discovery unfolds and the work progresses.... Here's a link to the the present website if you care to look into it:

https://sites.google.com/site/creamlegbarclublaunch/

You can find an enrollment page there -- and the club is open to everyone interested in the breed. HTH

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the Link! I've been seesawing over joining the Club before I have hatched my own eggs. Like most people, I only have a Handful of pullets (five I think) and a couple of cockerels and I'm still waiting to see what I got. I don't feel like I'm in a position to contribute until I'm able to start making selections in my own flock. But the last couple of months have been a whirlwind of research and forum lurking. Thanks all for your exstensive posts. I'll be around.

Thanks for the Link! I've been seesawing over joining the Club before I have hatched my own eggs. Like most people, I only have a Handful of pullets (five I think) and a couple of cockerels and I'm still waiting to see what I got. I don't feel like I'm in a position to contribute until I'm able to start making selections in my own flock. But the last couple of months have been a whirlwind of research and forum lurking. Thanks all for your exstensive posts. I'll be around.
Super!

thumbsup.gif

Is there a post on any of the Cream Legbar threads that shows the colors (maybe with arrows pointing exactly at which feathers) that are desired/undesired. Specifically having trouble wrapping my head around gold vs cream (and maybe we could throw in silver just for completeness), and also chestnut (what is it, where is it "okish" vs "not okish"). Is the drawing by Diane Jacky of the Cream Legbar pair facing eachother a good reference for the Cream color that is being aimed for? Finally, what makes a squirrel tail squirly? I'm sure this has been covered a million times and I can find all kinds of posts refering to these colors/traits but I can't find one that says "This is IT and this is why" so if you know of one that you can quote or link to that would be awesome.

ChicKat answered a lot of your questions- let me show you a picture where you can see "gold" birds and "cream" birds side by side (ignore the black birds):

The pullet hanging off the left side of the frame and the next one over have gold in their hackles. The smaller pullet facing away from the camera has cream hackles. Once you know what to look for it is unmistakable. These are birds I am growing out, I will keep the creams for myself to expand my flock and sell the golds to egg layer homes.

Back
Top Bottom