Cream Legbars

new chicks from different breeding groups, showing a range of down colors
(2 pullets, one male)
What very pretty chicks! I think I am in love......
love.gif

Mine tend to look very much like the two on the right. In fact I was noticing how silvery one little male I have in the brooder's dorsal light stripes are, and makes me wonder if he may be split for silver in my flock? The girl in the middle --- definitely to me would test on her S-locus as s+ the wild type.... I do wish we could get a genetic test so I could draw a drop of blood from my little guy, send it some place and get confirmation. I love you chicks -- and thanks for posting.

Regarding the far left chick and Phage's comment - it does look different from the ones that hatch here...is it a female?

What very pretty chicks! I think I am in love......
love.gif

Mine tend to look very much like the two on the right. In fact I was noticing how silvery one little male I have in the brooder's dorsal light stripes are, and makes me wonder if he may be split for silver in my flock? The girl in the middle --- definitely to me would test on her S-locus as s+ the wild type.... I do wish we could get a genetic test so I could draw a drop of blood from my little guy, send it some place and get confirmation. I love you chicks -- and thanks for posting.

Regarding the far left chick and Phage's comment - it does look different from the ones that hatch here...is it a female?
The male on the right of the trio has lots of brothers, and I can assure you they are not silver by any stretch of the imagination. They do have excellent barring though and very nice yellow legs. This offspring shares a foundation rooster with the pullets in the pic, but that's a few generations back.

The girls are from the same cream rooster, but different hens. The hens are also sisters, one is double for cream and doesn't show red or gold; good example of a little red goes a long way. Of course the double cream hen has a small crest, there's always something to work on...

Just for fun, here's a few more pics.
The chick on the left with feathers, all girl.

each girl with their corresponding brother

the same two brothers

a sister from an earlier test hatch who is somewhere in-between the other two

Hi. I need advice. I have never hatched eggs before. A couple days ago, I noticed that my creme legbar hen went broody for the second time and I'm thinking about letting her hatch some eggs. The problem is that it's been raining frequently and my hens feet are muddy and some of that mud gets on the eggs they lay. Does a fertile egg need to be completely mud free or would a few specs of dirt not hurt an egg under a broody hen?

How long can a broody hen leave her nest before coming back to sit on them again without the eggs dying?

Hi. I need advice. I have never hatched eggs before. A couple days ago, I noticed that my creme legbar hen went broody for the second time and I'm thinking about letting her hatch some eggs. The problem is that it's been raining frequently and my hens feet are muddy and some of that mud gets on the eggs they lay. Does a fertile egg need to be completely mud free or would a few specs of dirt not hurt an egg under a broody hen?

How long can a broody hen leave her nest before coming back to sit on them again without the eggs dying?

Please send some rain to California!

If you can wait a few days, maybe you can adjust their environment to reduce the mud? - more straw/shavings, keep them inside?
I can imagine there is lots of advice from people who actually have rainy weather =)

The broody should sit tight for the first week, but it is not unusual for them to leave the nest for awhile to take a dirt bath, etc. Although incubators allow for 2 hour cool down periods, my broodies don't seem to leave for more than an hour tops. My Cream Legbar broodies have been very attentive mammas, although it is safer to resist the urge to give them too many eggs…good luck! There is nothing cuter than a hen with chicks - except a photo someone posted on another thread with a toddler and a hen with chicks...

Please send some rain to California!

If you can wait a few days, maybe you can adjust their environment to reduce the mud?  -  more straw/shavings, keep them inside?
I can imagine there is lots of advice from people who actually have rainy weather =)

The broody should sit tight for the first week, but it is not unusual for them to leave the nest for awhile to take a dirt bath, etc.  Although incubators allow for 2 hour cool down periods, my broodies don't seem to leave for more than an hour tops.  My Cream Legbar broodies have been very attentive mammas, although it is safer to resist the urge to give them too many eggs…good luck!  There is nothing cuter than a hen with chicks - except a photo someone posted on another thread with a toddler and a hen with chicks...

thanks for the reply and advice. And, I'd send you rain if I could :)

Back
Top Bottom