Cream Legbars

I can't tell if this is directed at me or is more general but I was just responding with my input on Papa's Poultry. I didn't have a question.

Oops, yes, I see that now...I completely misread your post. It is enjoyable, though, to share pics of these magnificent birds. I do hope you post some of yours. :)

Last edited:
Oops, yes, I see that now...I completely misread your post. It is enjoyable, though, to share pics of these magnificent birds. I do hope you post some of yours. :)
No problem! Your pullet reminds me a lot of my own Legbars. She is heavily melanized. Which just means she is dark and possibly has "lacing" or barring on her chest. It also seems to correspond with what appears as specks of white through out the body. I don't quite understand it but it shows up in a lot of CLB.

All of my starter birds have this trait to some extent. I have been trying to breed it out but I have a closely related group and all of my offspring last year showed it except one pullet that I kept. I am not completely sure how it manifests itself in the males.

If you don't plan on breeding your birds it isn't a problem. They are still CLB, I am just trying to work towards the proposed standard.

That's interesting,@BuffyBugSlayer.I never did think she looked "typical" like the second pullet. Since I'm not a breeder, I'll just enjoy her pretty eggs and hilarious voice. Who knows, if I can talk the DH into it, I just MAY try to hatch some interesting barnyard mixes from her.

I don't mean to dissuade you in any way. Most CL have faults. It is just something to be aware of.

The Cream Legbar hybrid thread is a great place to visit too. I love my CL x Silver Laced Wyandottes. They are sex links and they lay a beautiful dark green to olive colored egg.

Thanks for the tip, @BuffyBugSlayer. I'll bet that cross is gorgeous. I've done some reading on the Cream Legbar hybrid thread and will head over that way if and when the time (hopefully) comes. I am most interested in blue eggers, and sex links are a bonus. I'd REALLY like to have a true Ameraucana x CCL in my flock.

Hi guys! Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am looking to get some Cream Legbar hatching eggs from a bloodline that is close to the standard but not crazy expensive. Let me know if ya'll have any leads for me.
Thank you!

Hi guys. I have loved looking at all of your pictures. I think this is a Cream Legbar, while not from a breeder but a hatchery I was wondering if you could help me confirm the identity. I got her from an overrun bin. I thought they were some other breed but then the feathers at the top of the head started to show and I still didn't realize what it was. I am pretty sure, but since I never have seen them just want to see what you think...

Hi guys. I have loved looking at all of your pictures. I think this is a Cream Legbar, while not from a breeder but a hatchery I was wondering if you could help me confirm the identity. I got her from an overrun bin. I thought they were some other breed but then the feathers at the top of the head started to show and I still didn't realize what it was. I am pretty sure, but since I never have seen them just want to see what you think...
Yes, definitely looks like a cream legbar to me. She looks a lot like my Stormy :)

Thank you. I really feel like I hit the jackpot. 3 of the 6 I got from this bargain bin at Meyer hatchery appear to be Cream Legbars. I am tickled that these girls are so unique to my flock. Thanks again.

Hi guys! Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am looking to get some Cream Legbar hatching eggs from a bloodline that is close to the standard but not crazy expensive. Let me know if ya'll have any leads for me.
Thank you!
You might want to check with Samantha Kellerman High View Farm - she used to be in Dripping Springs but moved somewhere else in the Hill Country. She got her Cream Legbars from GFF - and I got my first pair from her -- and have been really pleased.... also got my first Isbars from Samantha. good luck with your search!

Here is her site: http://highviewfarm.weebly.com/chickens.html

Back
Top Bottom