***Crevecoeur Thread***

Pics
I have two Crevecoeur pullets who, at almost 7 months, are not laying. I was starting to worry and thinking about posting my concern when, lo and behold, I log on and here‘s the link to the breed thread started by Sumi ♥ years ago. Following links to several article mentioned here and there, I see that there‘s no need to worry about their delayed POL.

It’s a pleasure to read other people’s take on this breed. Our two are the most unique birds in the flock. There’s something about them that almost suggests another species. View attachment 2382380View attachment 2382381View attachment 2382382

Gorgeous babies! I was worried that this breed lays 7-9 mos but mine started at 5-6 mos. Yours are right one time, but there isn't as much information on the breed, so worrying seems to be a normal thing for me, even though they are very robust so far.

I supplement their layer feed with fresh herbs & greens, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, & silkworms, plus one container of probiotic/vitamin/electrolyte water (and one plain water) in the tractor & coop. Trying to give them a chance to obtain extra nutrients like protein since layer feed isn't enough for hatching eggs. Maybe this made them lay sooner--? I will have to read up on genetics.

Gorgeous babies! I was worried that this breed lays 7-9 mos but mine started at 5-6 mos. Yours are right one time, but there isn't as much information on the breed, so worrying seems to be a normal thing for me, even though they are very robust so far.

I supplement their layer feed with fresh herbs & greens, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, & silkworms, plus one container of probiotic/vitamin/electrolyte water (and one plain water) in the tractor & coop. Trying to give them a chance to obtain extra nutrients like protein since layer feed isn't enough for hatching eggs. Maybe this made them lay sooner--? I will have to read up on genetics.
Thanks so much! I was hoping you’d see my post.

I’m not bothered by their not laying yet, we’re already a little overwhelmed by our other girls’ productivity; I was just starting to wonder if something was off. I’ve tried to judge the appearance of their vents - looking moist and a little open, so maybe getting close? They’ve also begun to participate in everyone else’s egg song. (Now that’s a hoot). They free range all day so there may be a chance of a hidden nest some where. I’ve noticed they come into the coop and sniff all the nest boxes and literally watch other birds as they lay, so am thinking they’re cogitating over the logistics of it all. Their eggs will be the only white ones for us so should be obvious when the blessed event occurs.

If I’d known then what I know now, we’d have more of these and a roo, too. Maybe in the future. I’m SO happy there are folks out there concentrating on these special birds. Thanks for what you’re doing to promote them !
E08F5BF4-A2D3-4B8D-8C55-42CE600BE37B.jpeg

One of our French Sisters studies the egg chart.

Thanks so much! I was hoping you’d see my post.

I’m not bothered by their not laying yet, we’re already a little overwhelmed by our other girls’ productivity; I was just starting to wonder if something was off. I’ve tried to judge the appearance of their vents - looking moist and a little open, so maybe getting close? They’ve also begun to participate in everyone else’s egg song. (Now that’s a hoot). They free range all day so there may be a chance of a hidden nest some where. I’ve noticed they come into the coop and sniff all the nest boxes and literally watch other birds as they lay, so am thinking they’re cogitating over the logistics of it all. Their eggs will be the only white ones for us so should be obvious when the blessed event occurs.

If I’d known then what I know now, we’d have more of these and a roo, too. Maybe in the future. I’m SO happy there are folks out there concentrating on these special birds. Thanks for what you’re doing to promote them !View attachment 2383175

One of our French Sisters studies the egg chart.

Awww, cutie! You can certainly have one of my roos at this point. Ha! I have a soft heart for Artemisa, who echolocates to find me because she can barely see through her crest and prefers to be held rather than free range. She might be my broody mama when the time comes. My Crèvecœurs rarely lay in their nest boxes. It's lay on the go and move on with their day.

My Crèvecœurs rarely lay in their nest boxes. It's lay on the go and move on with their day.
😮 no kidding! So I need to be walking a two acre pasture looking for white eggs?!? This, despite their obvious curiosity when the other birds are using the nest boxes for the intended purpose! Lol! They are such precious little peepers, I don’t care if I never find their eggs. I read they don’t go broody but I’m thinking you might have first-hand information to the contrary? Wouldn’t that be wonderful. Somehow I can’t picture them with a little flock of chicks.

😮 no kidding! So I need to be walking a two acre pasture looking for white eggs?!? This, despite their obvious curiosity when the other birds are using the nest boxes for the intended purpose! Lol! They are such precious little peepers, I don’t care if I never find their eggs. I read they don’t go broody but I’m thinking you might have first-hand information to the contrary? Wouldn’t that be wonderful. Somehow I can’t picture them with a little flock of chicks.

Eh I doubt any of my hens will go broody. I have an incubator and may try out Artemisia as the mama for my hatchlings. But I have a B

I'm new at this and my pullets show very little signs of going broody. I'm prepared to be my hatchlings' chicken mama. Contact Jeanette Beranger at the Livestock Conservancy for the real ststs. 💖

My best layer is probably my least broody: Large Marge

Thanks so much. I just love them. They are undoubtedly the most engaging members of the flock. If I go down in the morning still in a long nightgown, these two will follow me around chatting incessantly and pull at the gown as if to say, “ Here I am!” They don’t seem to enjoy being held so much but they do like to perch on my wrist and go for a little walk.

BC (before chickens) it never occurred to me I’d want to get into breeding. Given this experience with these two girls I can say with certainty if I were to be bitten by the breeding bug, it would be with Crevecoeurs as the focus.

Back
Top Bottom