***Crevecoeur Thread***

Hi, if you will notice, I've been here since 2010... check out the very first post in this thread (page 1). Of the three Creve breeders listed, I'm the only one still going. I've posted various good pieces of info to this thread over the years, along with old illustrations, so you should check that out.

As for the blues, it was a wise decision to keep them separate. They are a fairly recent creation – even in France – and the pictures I've seen of GF birds look quite gangly and Andalusian in type. For breed preservation, it's not really much of a stretch to suggest that we stick to birds that do not have unambiguous visual evidence of being crossed with something else. :)
I suspected the blues were different because their crests are less luxurious and they are much larger birds, dwarfing the others. They are also more agressive toward their flock mates. That informed my decision to keep them out of my breeding program going forward.

Here's my 4mo pullet from the latest hatch, Étoile. I think her profile is the best among my hatchlings.

B1BF8BF5-E48B-40A1-9C18-F0F2F96ECD2A.jpeg

I suspected the blues were different because their crests are less luxurious and they are much larger birds, dwarfing the others. They are also more agressive toward their flock mates. That informed my decision to keep them out of my breeding program going forward.
Interesting about the aggression. Six or more years ago I got a "free rare breed" chick in an assortment of hatchery Silkies. He turned out to be an Andalusian and a total, unredeemable little bastard. I've never had a more mindlessly high-energy aggressive bird of any breed.

Interesting about the aggression. Six or more years ago I got a "free rare breed" chick in an assortment of hatchery Silkies. He turned out to be an Andalusian and a total, unredeemable little bastard. I've never had a more mindlessly high-energy aggressive bird of any breed.
I'm not sure what's normal behavior, but what I call aggression others may describe as their roo wanting to sit on their shoulder. When he flies at me, I'm not gonna be still. Mostly they start trying to bite when I pick them up post-hormones. So I gently lift them from behind and they're fine with it. Perhaps I'm expecting too much.
While free ranging, they do fine.

Hi all! I just got some crevecoeurs from McMurray. Three have died and one too might be failing. My main question is about temperament. I ordered 10 females and two males. The three that died are females. That gives me a ratio of seven females to two males. Would that work in two small flocks ? Or should I create one flock of 7:1 and switch out the Roos from time to time. Asking to figure out coop/run configuration.

Hello, I hope y'all don't mind me jumping in here. I got a small group of crevs last year from Cackle hatchery and I've ended up with a rooster and 2 hens. They'll be 1 year next month. I'll post pix later but wanted to check here and see if anyone has an impression, positive or negative, of their bloodline. I noticed at the time I got them that they didn't resemble other pix I had seen of baby crevs. Anyway, I'll post pix of how they've turned out to get your opinions of how they stack up to the SOP. Awesome breed, one of the favorites of the many breeds I've had, 20ish different black breeds, and I've had to cut back thinking of sticking with just LF Cochins and the Crevs but I'd hate to stick with my admittedly small group if they're poor examples of the breed. TIA for any input y'all have on Cackle's bloodlines (BTW, I do know hatchery birds are not always the best choice).

Hi all! I just got some crevecoeurs from McMurray.
I've lost several chicks from them lately on day 1 or 2. Touch and go with a 3rd one, but I think she's getting better. Not sure what's going on there. One was a crevecoeur female.

Anyway, my creve rooster is about 16 weeks old today and generally beautiful, but his tail feathers seem to be coming out. Are these guys early molters? Or heat molters? We've had nearly 2 weeks of 100 degree days.

Back
Top Bottom