***Crevecoeur Thread***

I got a crevecoeur from Murray McMurray 2 months ago!!😁 Her name is Kiara!😊
65C3C485-A3A0-459F-85F9-048DA020E2EF.jpeg
5C67B5CA-DEA7-47B3-BD3F-2863C6553490.jpeg

Go in a Search Engine like Google Images, etc, and see the pics of Crevecouer chickens. I don't see feathered legs. A breeder of Crevies would be your best source for answers.

It's difficult to find quality purebreeds at feed stores -- I've only had luck ordering/buying from specialty breeders for quality or acceptable birds. I've bought from feed stores a couple times and the birds were ordered from hatcheries by the feed stores. Not saying all the birds are bad quality because I've had problems with both private breeders and feed store birds -- but I've found the rarest breeds of chickens have the most problems for quality appearance or health issues because of low gene pool diversity/inbreeding.

We owners take chances buying birds and it's always a cra*p-shoot on whether a bird has good looks. longevity, or croaks on us. I've cycled through 22 various backyard chickens in 10 years and have had long-lived birds as well as chicks dead before a month old. My farm Mom says it happens and be prepared to be disappointed in how they hatch -- some will be pretty and healthy while others die early cuz of circumstances beyond our control.

In any case -- we love chickens so much that even if flawed in appearance or poor health we pamper and give them the best chicken care we can as long as they live!

Hello, I hope y'all don't mind me jumping in here. I got a small group of crevs last year from Cackle hatchery and I've ended up with a rooster and 2 hens. They'll be 1 year next month. I'll post pix later but wanted to check here and see if anyone has an impression, positive or negative, of their 'bloodline. I noticed at the time I got them that they didn't resemble other pix I had seen of baby crevs. Anyway, I'll post pix of how they've turned out ... TIA for any input y'all have on Cackle's bloodlines
Hi therr, do you have chick or adult pictures? I've talked to the people at Cackle a couple times as I would like to get them started with Urch stock. I gathered that they may have tried offering Creves at some point but something hadn't worked out and they weren't at the present time. I have seen many of the Creve bloodlines currently in the U.S. and would love to take a look.

Best, exop

Are crévecœurs supposed to have feathered legs?
No. They are not supposed to; and it's not a tendency the breed is fighting, either. I have never seen a Creve with a leg feather, or even a stub... and I have seen and raised a number of different hatchery and breeder lines of Crevecoeur.

If you have a black, crested chicken with feathered legs, the first thing you should suspect is mixed breed.

Hello all,

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post, but figured I'd give it a shot. About 2 months ago our rooster died from an owl. We got him for free from Murray McMurray along with our first hens, all Buffs.

I grew a bit attached and decided last minute to give incubating a try as a way to keep the lineage going. He was a pretty friendly rooster, at least to me, and figured with some Buff in the mix, it could make for a friendly, pretty cross-breed. We used a Manna Pro Harris incubator for 10 eggs, 3 of which ended up being yolkers. Eventually, hatch day came and all 7 baby chicks hatched perfectly healthy. We have them in the mix with some more Buff chicks, but definitely came out interesting.

Personally, I am unsure of how to sex them, but it is definitely visible the Crevecoeur in them. I haven't found this cross breed anywhere and took to calling them Creve Orpingtons. Anyways, here are some pictures. If you are able to tell the sex I would greatly appreciate it!

Logan
20211106_165855.jpg
20220222_002131.jpg
20220222_002148.jpg
20220222_002202 (1).jpg
20220222_002157 (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom