Crochet Square Swap - Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. Mom said something to me about those, but I was afraid they'd be complicated to use... Not to mention hard to find. So if they're easy to find, does that mean they aren't too hard to use?

You can find the looms at Wal-mart as well, in all sizes.

They're super easy to use. It's a matter of wrapping yarn around pegs, then hooking the yarn over with the little hook they give you. With my smallest one, I can get a premie hat done in about 15 minutes.

Just a note - in the larger hats, if you're going to use the baby yarn on a Knifty Knitter-type loom, you'll have to double wrap. The hats I've made seemed to come out too thin if I didn't.

Anyone can do chemo caps or premie hats for their local children's hospital. Just give a call to the child life department and see what they need.

Since our daughter passed away, I make a boxful of hats, scarves, blankets, etc., every year around Christmastime to take down to our Children's. Spending Christmas in the hospital is no fun.
sad.png
I use a lot of the fun furs and work them into the regular yarn so they're all more bright.

I'm going to have to get my looms out and start looping some hats.

Em

This is something I would be interested in doing, my mom is hopefully switching from chemo treatments to a chemo pill, We find out for sure on the 27th. This would definately be a way to give back all we have received during her last round with cancer.

WOW!! Looks like there really is alot of interest!! I thnk it's a great idea too! I've seen some pictures of kids wearing wild and crazy colorful caps when they've lost all of their hair and the ones I saw had those flat sequins hooked on and fuzzy and colorful yarn ,really loud and crazy and FUN which I guess would be the key issue to have something to smile about in a desolate situation. Gosh Terri, love to have you in and I need to check out those looms at walmart, that sounds pretty easy. I hope some knitters throw in too, this should be a project where we can combine the crafts. I saw that happy little vamp-a-billy-princess had posted somewhere about knitting projects so maybe there will be several we can "hook" in, lol!!!

I think any number, even one would be fine so maybe as Maw's square swap is about midway I'll make a big sign-up list and get that project started, then when I receive all the hats they can be split into two groups and sent to Vanderbuilt and the Shriner's Hopsital and we'll ask for some pictures back from both.

For the preemie hats, I'll have to go back through this thread and see who mentioned that as one of their projects and we can maybe send all of those to her.

Kris, I love you, stop worrying about those squares!!! Just figure out something to make with them! I will take mine to the race track again saturday and try to finish my project...seems I have more down there there, lol!!

And you are EARLY not late with the birthday wishes, but thank you very much!! My birthday is sunday and I finally decided I would not commit suicide over being 50, lol!!!!
th34qp8o11-1.jpg
Have a great day ya'll!!!!!!!!! Hope your mother has a good day Bobbie
wink.png

Last edited:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ~ SCRAMBLED!!!!!!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Hope you have a very special B-day weekend! Do you have any plans?

I'll have to go check out those looms. I see them in a package of all sizes everywhere from Wally World, Michael's, & Hobby Lobby. Sounds like it would bee easier to use one of those instead of crocheting to make a hat, but I could be wrong. My best friend crochets the most lovely hats. I'll have to beg for her pattern.

Everyone needs to go check out Mawchick's purse on the BYC crocet club thread. It is gorgeous!

Thank you!! I am still 49 though until sunday..gonna savor that just a bit more, lol!!! Long weekend off for me, yard work, house work and no work, lol!!! Maybe hook alittle and chat with my chickens, looking forward to some down time...hope everyone driving is safe this weekend and has a great holiday
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom