Crossbreeding/Backcrossing of Green Junglefowl With Domestic Chicken and Successive Offspring

nicalandia

Free Ranging
14 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Stuck In a Dream
My Coop
My Coop
I've been fascinated by the beautiful colors of the Green Junglefowl and how their F1s look. I have recently found about the Backcross breeding to Green Junglefowl. I will not go into details about the lines found in the USA or abroad(to me they seem to be suffering from endogamy), but mostly what happens in their native land of Indonesia where they are raised to produce mostly the F1s.

In Indonesia the Green Junglefowl is called, Ayam Hutan hijau which is literally translated to Green Jungle Chicken, The F1 cross between them and domestic chickens are called Ayam Bekisar, The backcross to the Green Junglefowl is called Ayam Bekilus, The backcross to domestic chickens is called Ayam Bekikuk, many of these backcrosses are not documented as much because a few try them since most are happy just producing F1s for the unique crow that the F1 males produce.

These are the know names used in Indonesia for the offspring of crossbreeding/backcrossing:

Ayam Hutan hijau: Gallus varius.

Ayam Bekiper: Second Backcross to Gallus varius, 87.5% various.

Ayam Bekilus: First Backcross to Gallus varius, 75% various.

Ayam Bekisar: Gallus varius x Domestic Chicken, 50% various.

Ayam Bekicem: Gallus varius x Ayam Cemani, 50% various

Ayam Bekikuk: First Backcross to domestic chicken, 25% various.

In Indonesia you will find the most tame Green Jungle Fowls, it's amazing these birds are not skittish whatsoever, they can be petted, but due to the language barrier many are not aware of that.

Green Junglefowl
8e21cc80-3993-447c-92ef-9d87ef275d66.jpg

d23a6c92-c6e0-4b60-afa9-d8af33045846.jpg

Ayam Bekisar
Bekisar-Hybrid-2.jpg

1200px-Ayam_Bekisar_Hybrid.jpg

Ayam Bekicem
ef48c7ad6af67921b9d86a8c956e8416.jpg

tumblr_przgn34X7d1vkqhbno1_500.jpg

Ayam Bekilus(Ayam Bekisar Halus)

The breeding chart.

Screenshot_20211212-100249_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211212-110659_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211212-110710_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
These are real chickens?
As Real as you and me, with all of my extensive genetic knowledge, I have no doubt that we could bring many of the colorful traits of these birds to demestic chickens, I have seen the F1s from all of the other Jungle Fowls and they mostly look like chickens, but here the F1s show that many of the Green Jungle fowls traits are dominant

Last edited:
As Real as you and me, with all of my extensive genetic knowledge, I have no doubt that we could bring many of the colorful traits of these birds to demestic chickens, I have seen the F1s from all of the other Jungle Fowls and they mostly look like chickens, but here the F1s show that many of the Green Jungle fowls traits are dominant
Wow!

Ayam Bekiput(Bekisar Putih) are pure White Ayam Bekisar and to my knowledge the closest to an standardized Bekisar breed, as expensive as Bekisar are(pretty expensive on their own) these white Bekisar are much more expensive. The Ayam Bekiput are not your typical F1, they are F2s(Bekisar x Bekisar) because the F1s leak color so they breed F1 to F1 to produce the Snow White ones.

1639427037792.png

Google Translate is my best friend here because I have been able to find more breeding information from them, this is hardly shared if you don't speak the language.

Ayam Hutan Hijau: 100% Gallus varius

Ayam Bekiper (Bekisar Super): 87.5% Gallus varius

Ayam Bekilus: 75% Gallus varius

Ayam Bekisar: 50% Gallus varius

Ayam Bekikuk: 25% Gallus varius

Those Bekiper look identical from the real deal, the only difference would be on the rooster's Crow

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom