Crow stealing eggs!

What works for me in my garden is to use black plastic garbage bags or sheeting and fashion them into a crow size shape and hang up-side down to resemble a dead crow. Also the yellow "caution tape" or large ribbons strung in their flight path seems to confuse them and usually makes them go else where. Your problem might be a little harder to deal with as they have discovered a steady source of food. They are smart buggers but can be out-smarted! Good luck!

Quote:
Let's see if I can explain it. I have a different kind of set up. My chickens sleep in a different area from where they lay eggs because I have over 100 chickens and even more ducks, geese and turkeys. When I open their coops in the morning, they then move to the chicken house to lay eggs. Strange huh? Yea, I know. Before I had an "open/air" "open/face chicken house" (if that makes any sense). You could say that the front of it had a "picket fence" type of look in which the picket fence part was only 5 feet tall and the chicken house itself was 10 feet tall. So, the crows were able to fly in through the 5 foot open space and fly into the nesting boxes to get the eggs. They would also fly and land on the fence part of the chicken house and just wait their turn to steal eggs. Well, I tore that down and built something with NO opening or place for them to sit and wait. There is a door to the chicken house and that's it. It's not the prettiest chicken house because I still have to paint it but now it is totally functionally for me. The ventilation is at the top of the structure on the right wall ONLY but the crows don't know how to get in.

My set up is probably not a good example to show you for ideas because it is just plain and you probably don't need a chicken house.

On the pic below, the front does have a door. It's an old pic when it was first built before we put the door on it. All I do in the morning is go out and open the door with a 12 - 20 inch opening (kept opened by a stopper) so that the chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys can go in and lay eggs and come out. They also use this area to go in on those days when it's too hot or if it's raining. Although the door is opened 12 - 20 inches, the crows have NEVER flown in to steal eggs. It's so dark in there in the day time, you almost need a flashlight to see in there.

6612_tin_house.jpg

Inside of chicken house. No windows or nowhere for them to fly in anymore.
6612_nesting_boxes_with_chickens.jpg

Quote:
Let's see if I can explain it. I have a different kind of set up. My chickens sleep in a different area from where they lay eggs because I have over 100 chickens and even more ducks, geese and turkeys. When I open their coops in the morning, they then move to the chicken house to lay eggs. Strange huh? Yea, I know. Before I had an "open/air" "open/face chicken house" (if that makes any sense). You could say that the front of it had a "picket fence" type of look in which the picket fence part was only 5 feet tall and the chicken house itself was 10 feet tall. So, the crows were able to fly in through the 5 foot open space and fly into the nesting boxes to get the eggs. They would also fly and land on the fence part of the chicken house and just wait their turn to steal eggs. Well, I tore that down and built something with NO opening or place for them to sit and wait. There is a door to the chicken house and that's it. It's not the prettiest chicken house because I still have to paint it but now it is totally functionally for me. The ventilation is at the top of the structure on the right wall ONLY but the crows don't know how to get in.

My set up is probably not a good example to show you for ideas because it is just plain and you probably don't need a chicken house.

On the pic below, the front does have a door. It's an old pic when it was first built before we put the door on it. All I do in the morning is go out and open the door with a 12 - 20 inch opening (kept opened by a stopper) so that the chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys can go in and lay eggs and come out. They also use this area to go in on those days when it's too hot or if it's raining. Although the door is opened 12 - 20 inches, the crows have NEVER flown in to steal eggs. It's so dark in there in the day time, you almost need a flashlight to see in there.

Thanks for the info. I'm fighting ravens and it's just a matter of time till they find the eggs. Earlier someone had a Kung Fu turkey that was effective, have your turkeys ever gotten tangled up with a crow? Maybe that would help Agnes?

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I'm fighting ravens and it's just a matter of time till they find the eggs. Earlier someone had a Kung Fu turkey that was effective, have your turkeys ever gotten tangled up with a crow? Maybe that would help Agnes?

You're welcome.

About the Kung Fu turkey, I think that was my post where I talked about my turkeys unless someone else out there also has a Kung Fu turkey
gig.gif

My female turkeys are ruthless. They will rip the head off of a bear. They DO NOT play. They will attack anything that is causing disruption to the yard and stealing eggs is at the top of the list. I have seen them fight roosters and have the roosters run away in the corner with his tail between his legs.

Take a look below at actual footage:
gig.gif

Turkey hen preparing for Set Up of the infamous Karate Kid Kick:
6612_turkey_and_rooster.jpg

This is the ACTUAL Infamous Kun Fu Karate Kid Kick performed by the Turkey Hen on my VERY LARGE rooster. Kids, please don't try this at home.
6612_turkey_and_hen_sparring.jpg

This is another reason that I don't have trouble with the crows anymore. They won't stand a chance against my female turkeys.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom