CS15 -- The Official Michigan Chicken Stock Information Thread for June 20, 2015

Have there been any cases in MI of either strain? Most migratory birds are nesting and feeding young at this point.

If any one has been exposed to it and lost birds they should probably opt out of coming. But the purpose of this is to meet each other as well as move birds, maybe we could do this with out birds involved? It would give us more time to get to know people.

Just a thought.

I like this idea. I'm learning more and more about it. I don't think it's media driven whatsoever. Even the APA is cancelling shows. Some states have closed off shipping any birds (and even hatching eggs) in or out. 4-H has cancelled exhibitions, even state fairs are talking about no poultry of any type being allowed. I say: Better safe than sorry.

My two cents:

Logic and common sense will keep any creature safe,

If an individual doesn't feel safe to attend. Let them not attend. Not call for cancelling the swap or postponing it.

Ask for attendance conformation to assure it is still drawing enough people to hold the event.

Then, let her rip.

The big question; Is it in Mi?

You can't fight a virus using logic & common sense, only, unfortunately. And, even if it hasn't been detected in Michigan, "prevention" seems to be the word used most often when discussing this virus.

On Friday, the Ohio State Fair banned birds being shown from affected states. Here is an excerpt:

“The big thing right now is (the flu is) not established anywhere in Ohio and ... we’re taking reasonable measures to prevent its establishment.”
On Monday, the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture canceled all avian competitions and activities at fairs throughout the state this year because of the flu, even though it hasn’t been detected in that state.

article here: http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...hio-fair-bans-birds-from-affected-states.html

It's knocking on our door, unfortunately. While I agree that a small get-together of local birds would seem to not be any worry...I'm personally not sure I want to take a chance. JMO

Even if I can get the money back, there is a very good chance that the pavillion will be booked for the rest of the summer. It's a very popular place for get togethers.

I'm good just coming to see my peeps but I'd hate to drive there if my good friends opt out.

Back
Top Bottom