CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gravy boat is a better term for describing the Rocks silhouette. Below the tail in back, two extremes detract from the look. Looking again at the drawings.

On the hens, #7 and #8 above both show an over fat condition, with #8 being what we farmers call "low hangin'" in the rear. This is quite unattractive.

On a male, the #4 below, the look of a straight line downward in back, at an angle gives the male a V shape in rear and is equally unattractive. Either extreme, low hanging rear or the severely slanted rear prevent the Rock from having the correct shape and in my mind, bespeaks issues with proper organ space and reproductive health generally.

Last edited:
If I think about it, I seem to see 2/6 most commonly with hatchery birds, and 3/7 with faulty show birds. From a breeders perspective, would the latter be the fault of birds that are "over-done"?

I tend to agree. Your experience with show birds, however, is likely much greater than mine. Hatchery tails are almost always pinched, fan, squirrel or something. Getting a decent tail our of the box of 25 hatchery chicks would be extremely low odds. Junk tends to beget junk. But, remember, they're only said to "represent" the breed.

Not to commandeer the thread and send it off course, but, with regards to squirrel tail. Does anyone know why specifically it is so common? If I think of hatchery chicks with a faulty tail, regardless of breed, from Leghorns to Cochins, my mind shouts, "Squirrel tailed!". Neither does it seem to matter fro which hatchery. What is is about poultry or, perhaps, hatchery poultry or, perhaps, degenerating poultry, that seems to make squirrel tail such a common destination? This is an honest questin. It is something muscular? Skeletal? Is another portion of their body "off" such that it is a necessary compensation for balance?

I see the profile views and all seem to be examples of "defects." Would it be possible to post an Ideal looking profile picture so we can learn what to look for? (Or did I miss it somewhere already?)
Thanks!

I see the profile views and all seem to be examples of "defects." Would it be possible to post an Ideal looking profile picture so we can learn what to look for? (Or did I miss it somewhere already?)
Thanks!

The Standard has pictures, paintings and drawings of ideal and idealized. The idealized is the dream or concept that doesn't exist in one bird, in reality. Nice or good does exist. Bob posted this a few pages back. Schilling.

I love the idealized paintings of the Ringlets.

Last edited:
The Standard has pictures, paintings and drawings of ideal and idealized. The idealized is the dream or concept that doesn't exist in one bird, in reality. Nice or good does exist. Bob posted this a few pages back. Schilling.

LOL - He's one of my distant relatives. Thanks for posting!

Not to commandeer the thread and send it off course, but, with regards to squirrel tail. Does anyone know why specifically it is so common? If I think of hatchery chicks with a faulty tail, regardless of breed, from Leghorns to Cochins, my mind shouts, "Squirrel tailed!". Neither does it seem to matter fro which hatchery. What is is about poultry or, perhaps, hatchery poultry or, perhaps, degenerating poultry, that seems to make squirrel tail such a common destination? This is an honest questin. It is something muscular? Skeletal? Is another portion of their body "off" such that it is a necessary compensation for balance?

See figure 40 in the SOP. Squirrel tail is the result of a body that is not correct. Narrow and shallow for it's breed. hatcheries don't breed for proper tails.

Walt

Thanks!

x2 I love this thread but could use some more photos (and confirmation from the instructors) of birds that would win shows and why. The defects pictures have made it easier for me to find defects, but now I can't seem to visualize what I'm supposed to be looking for in a good quality bird. Maybe a few from each variety? Some that come close and detailed explanations as to why? It's been really fun following along, please keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom