CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
although of course we realize that the yellowness of a hen's leg is directly proportionate to whether or not she is in lay, and actually, a too-yellow leg is not to be desired, as it indicates a poor layer, so that's not really a good thing to look for in a hen IMO.

I'd like to hear from others on this. I have often seen and heard this but I have one Buckeye hen and one Welsummer hen that haven't seemed to have lost any leg color at all and they're both good layers. I first noticed this last year and have been eyeing them since. So I'm really wondering if genetics don't have more to do with the leg color than anything else. I've also noticed a direct correlation between skin color and leg color.

God Bless,

I'd like to hear from others on this. I have often seen and heard this but I have one Buckeye hen and one Welsummer hen that haven't seemed to have lost any leg color at all and they're both good layers. I first noticed this last year and have been eyeing them since. So I'm really wondering if genetics don't have more to do with the leg color than anything else. I've also noticed a direct correlation between skin color and leg color.

God Bless,
Like Royce, I have not noticed any correlation between too-yellow a leg and egg laying ability (but I must admit, I have not really looked for one). What I have noticed is that all free range birds have better leg color (brighter yellow) & mine eat a good bit of green grass this time of year. Of course, an older bird has less coloration in their legs. So together with genetics, I have noticed diet plays a role.

I also treat my birds every morning with a mixture that contains a lot of whole corn and I mix cayenne pepper in their feed.

Yellow leg color is due to pigment granules stored in the dermis, as opposed to permanant pigments. This pigment is mobilized by the hen as needed to color the egg yolks. Birds on diets high in carotenoid pigments mobilize less from their bodies, so retain more color. Poor layers use less pigment for eggs, so will also pull less from their body and have more yellow in the legs.

I'm old school. I believe coloration mainly comes from the cock bird, but "The Call Of Hen" is essential. The hen gives type, in my universe, anyhow. The hen is far more important than many people realize, I'm fear. If one is working hard to establish and maintain type, (and aren't we al)l, then paying close attention to the hens is critical.

Yellow leg color is due to pigment granules stored in the dermis, as opposed to permanant pigments. This pigment is mobilized by the hen as needed to color the egg yolks. Birds on diets high in carotenoid pigments mobilize less from their bodies, so retain more color. Poor layers use less pigment for eggs, so will also pull less from their body and have more yellow in the legs.
Exactly. This was one of the topics that was covered during our training as Livestock Leaders during my 4-H certification. It is more noticeable in production breeds, especially the White Leghorns and production brown egg layer strains, but the concept still applies to all breeds of chickens. It's one of the ways you can determine if a hen is a good layer or not, along with the other methods, including moist vent, width of pubic bones, and so on. See this link for specifics: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/AG_Poultry_2009-01pr.pdf

Note, it is more specific to the Mediterranean and Continental breeds, but the same concepts do hold true, to a certain extent, with the American breeds such as the Buckeye, and can be used along with the other criteria to judge if a hen is in lay or not.

Last edited:
I'm old school. I believe coloration mainly comes from the cock bird, but "The Call Of Hen" is essential. The hen gives type, in my universe, anyhow. The hen is far more important than many people realize, I'm fear. If one is working hard to establish and maintain type, (and aren't we al)l, then paying close attention to the hens is critical.
The importance of hens in a flock can't be repeated often enough. It's all very well to admire a pullet in the bloom of her first eggs, but the hens that make it past the second year cull are the jewels of your flock. Those that maintain type, color, size , as well as laying ability , are the ones to breed from.

I agree. The hen is often ignored, but she is responsible for giving type. I like breeding from old, big Buckeye hens -- they have also proven they are healthy and can make it through our summers. Likewise, I never cull hens for color.

The importance of hens in a flock can't be repeated often enough. It's all very well to admire a pullet in the bloom of her first eggs, but the hens that make it past the second year cull are the jewels of your flock. Those that maintain type, color, size , as well as laying ability , are the ones to breed from.
Truer words were never said! But oh, there is something just so delicious about a pullet just at the point of lay. The dewiness, the perfect feathers, the spring in her step and the gleam in her eye as she seeks the best place to lay those first eggs. I adore those little girls, I do. I especially miss my Dutch Bantams when I think of such pullets... (sigh)

American Class Review

Let's take a week to do a semester review. Any and all of the breeds in the American Class may be reviewed or re-visited. It's wide open for the next week. Here are the breeds in the APA American Class:

Buckeye
Chantecler – Partridge, White
Delaware
Dominique
Holland – Barred, White
Java – Black, Mottled
Jersey Giant – Black, White
Lamona – White
New Hampshire
Plymouth Rock – Barred, Blue, Buff, Columbian, Partridge, Silver Penciled, White
Rhode Island Red – Rose Comb, Single Comb Rhode Island White – Rose Comb
Wyandotte – Black, Buff, Columbian, Golden Laced, Partridge, Silver Laced, Silver Penciled, White, Blue

May be a bit chaotic as we bounce around in the conversation, but cramming for exams is hallmark of any university. Enjoy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom