CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much...Wish I could take credit but it really goes to Jeremy Woeppel..who did an awesome job breeding this strain/line in Nebraska.
highfive.gif

These are my 2 "Imperial Ringlet" strain Barred Rock pullets (at 10 months) from Jeremy Woeppel (XW poultry in Nebraska). I believe these were started from Reese's flock. I am pleased with them. I especially like their heads and overall lines...yellow legs...nice width and depth of body...they are super docile and quiet as a plus...lay very large and often. Overall they are my flock favorites..watching them free ranging is a true pleasure!! Hoping to hatch more from Jeremy this year. I am sure they are not perfect birds...what do you guys think---pros and cons???
Some very nice typed and marked pullets. They look like they are good thick and wide. I'd be proud to own these birds.

7961---Thank you for your kind compliments!!!

Seeing these gals graze each morning makes my day...
smile.png

Hats off to Jeremy Woeppel (XW Poultry) for breeding these gals!!

*RAISING HAND*
frow.gif
Excuse me may I post a picture of the Partridge rocks I have?

After our lessons of pinched tails I want to see if I am correct in my assesment of my hatchery girls. If not its nots problem. Just figured it wouldnt hurt to ask.

Thank you Fred. I apologize for the poor qualityof the pictures. A camera phone in the snow with busy hens scratching is a tough combination.

They are about 36 weeks old. All of them have what I think is pinched tails. The one who is showing her fuzzy butt has the largest width in the tail area. And the one in front here is the 2nd largest tail area.

A side top view of 3 of them.

Another view from top of all 4. I see the lines for the traingle in all of them indicating pinched tails. I understand its common in hatchery breeds. I dont plan on breeding them. They havent had a full molt yet. Will their tail feathers change when they molt again? I understand the structure of the hens wont change just thought they would get more tail feathers?

I have them for their eggs and for meat when they stop laying.

A little background: They just started laying the beginning of December. One lays daily (the smallest hen) and the other every other day. I more often than not get 2 or 3 eggs a day. At least every week or 10 days I get 4 eggs in a day. The month of December I got 44 eggs......This month I have gotten about 54 eggs so far. I understand its winter & laying is down. I just keep track to see how often they lay. I pretty much know which egg 3 of them lay. They are great foragers in their large penned area. Snow/rain/wind doesnt deter them. They are much happier digging thru the veggie garden and the grass than eating their FF. Full crops at night. No illnesses/lice/mites, etc. I think I really lucked out as they are my first chickens. (And thats because of the OTs on here :) )

I llok forward to your comments

I have a quick question on leghorns. I noticed today that my leghorns have some tail feathers that stick straight up and out almost like a blade, and the others curl inward around their bums and the straight feathers. I'm wondering if that gives the leghorn a pinched tail look even if they have width there? I am pretty sure my leghorns probably aren't well structured, but just realized their behinds may not be as bad as their tails seem to say they are. Is this a correct assessment or are my birds just weird, LOL. I hatched my girls from Trader Joe eggs, so yah, not going to be prized show birds, LOL.

Another view from top of all 4. I see the lines for the traingle in all of them indicating pinched tails. I understand its common in hatchery breeds. I dont plan on breeding them. They havent had a full molt yet. Will their tail feathers change when they molt again? I understand the structure of the hens wont change just thought they would get more tail feathers?
I would also like to see some comments on these as I have some Welsummers and BO that tend to look like this. armorfirelady maybe you could get another pic closer of just one from directly overhead? It might be easier to see.

This is the most recent picture taken Monday

This picture was about a month ago

This picture was taken in November

And this was taken the beginning of August when I brought them home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom