CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a few of mine. Would love to hear feed back to better my birds.

This is Oppenheimer. He is a huge bird that is very wide. I wish I had a behind picture of him. I took him to the Oh national and even though he was unfortunately in a hard molt he still got 2nd cock. If he was fully feathered I think he would have done better. Hoping to breed him to some of my home bred pullets to get a good blood mix.

This hen has very nice markings but you can see that she doesn't hold her tail very high. Besides that I like her. I have her paired with Copernicus. So far very good results.

sorry I didnt have a stranding picture of her. I think she is the same hen above.

This boy (Copernicus) has mossing on his hackles and saddle but he is great in every other aspect. He is a very big bird, very nice type, and I have had NO fertility problems at all. I had him over 6 hens and every egg was fertile. I would love to show him but I know his mossing wouldn't allow him to place very high. All the off spring shown is his. So far no pullets have had dirty feathers but I have only gotten (color wise) 3 -4 nice cockerels out of 14.

Home bred young cockerel about 4-5 months old. Very promising. Tight comb, wide body, nicely held wings, and great color. Can't wait to see him grown up.

Home bred young pullet about 6 months old in this picture. I am very pleased with her so far. All of the pullets I have raised so far are wide heavy birds. They are already almost the size of their parents.

Home bred young pullet 5 months old. Same as the top girl. Hoping to enter all three pullets shown in shows. I have others but they are still to young to really determine how they will look. They are filling out wonderfully so far.

This guy I will assure you does have a rose comb. It is very large and sits higher on his head then I want. I recently got him and not sure of his fertility. He is sometimes lazy about putting his tail but I think he is a good bird. He is from Pauls Line. I have him with a young foley cockerel and a pullet. I also have 3 hens from Pauls line but will not be using one due to cross beak.

home bred young cockerel. Very friendly disposition like I prefer in wyandottes and already very persistent toward the hens. Hoping he gets his fathers fertility. His colors are spot on. His type and width are coming along nicely.

home bred young pullet 6 months old. Another nice big girl. Also has a nice wide base at her tail. Have only found one pullet with a some what narrow tail base.

first rooster pictured (Oppenheimer) with a hen. This hen is probably one of my heaviest/ biggest hens. She weighs as much as the rooster and her size is showing in the offspring from Copernicus.

Same hen pictured above.

Last edited:
C.S.U.

Just A Reminder
All posters and contributors are asked to please reference the SOP when posting. In other words, we ask you please critique your own birds, against the SOP and your breeding goals and challenges, when posting photos.

Thank you for making this more a University class of education, discussion and contribution, not an on-line photo show. The difference may be a subtle but important distinction. Thanks to everyone for your contributions.

Also here is an illustration I did of a pair of silver laced wyandottes and a mother hen. I am hoping to do more of these of the different colors.

Sorry the photos a little "flushed" looking. The blacks are much darker in person.

That is right on. . The male needs what you noted, the wing carriage is to low in the picture. It looks as if he has the stiff tail feathers you need for the tail, but the tail condition is so poor it is hard to tell.

That is a terrific female....the cushion may not show in the short time a judge has to look at her and may not show at all under normal situations. If they show a cushion when walking in the pen or foraging, they have a problem. You see how the cushion interrupts the backline?

Walt
Yes I see where that cushion of feathers disrupts her backline. That cushions looks like a possible bump or some sort of trauma to her back. The line should flow smoothly, not looking as if there is a possible hump there instead..is this what you are saying Walt? It is something that I didn't notice. Ed

ShelbyMale.jpg

WhiteWyandotteBreederhen.jpg

Pics borrowed from another web page, a male and a female that I really like. It says that this line was from Shelby Harrington.

For those of you that want to know the proper side view look of a Wyandotte.......this female is it....without the small hump before the tail. Compare this bird to yours and let us know what you think. As a hint...most of the Wynadottes being posted have low tail carriage compared to this bird. Also note the depth of body in this female.

Walt

Yes I see where that cushion of feathers disrupts her backline. That cushions looks like a possible bump or some sort of trauma to her back. The line should flow smoothly, not looking as if there is a possible hump there instead..is this what you are saying Walt? It is something that I didn't notice. Ed

If you were to look under the bump/cushion you will find no trauma. This is a common fault in many breeds and you just have to breed it out.

Walt

For those of you that want to know the proper side view look of a Wyandotte.......this female is it....without the small hump before the tail. Compare this bird to yours and let us know what you think. As a hint...most of the Wynadottes being posted have low tail carriage compared to this bird. Also note the depth of body in this female.

Walt

I submitted earlier in this thread....this is a younger pullet about 7 months in this pic...she's not standing square in this pic but it looks like her tail carriage angle is approaching correctness...her shape is looking circular although this should improve with maturation/filling out over the next 6 months...what do you think?

I submitted earlier in this thread....this is a younger pullet about 7 months in this pic...she's not standing square in this pic but it looks like her tail carriage angle is approaching correctness...her shape is looking circular although this should improve with maturation/filling out over the next 6 months...what do you think?

I think if she stood up she would look good.You would want to work on her head. She needs a bit wider head. Does she have white in the ear lobe?

w.

raising hand.............

Walt, when you say she needs a bit wider head, how do you tell that from a picture? Or are you speaking front to back? (I was assuming you meant side to side)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom