CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does look like the back is a bit short, but could that be extra fluff, fluffed out, was it winter when you took the picture? Just curious if these things can affect the silhouette? Could he also be holding his head a little lower in that photo?

Last edited:
I am not an expert in Standard-bred poultry by anyone's standards, slick4591, but it seems to me that the rear "half" of the first cockerel is disproportionately smaller than the front half, and that the second cockerel is much better proportioned. Assuming these are 2 different birds, (not just different photos of same bird,) what do these boys look like from above? My guess is that the first will show a pronounced wedge shape (narrow pelvis) while the second has a wider pelvis, and is more of a rectangle when viewed from above. (and when viewed from behind, the second will have a more open teepee tail instead of a closed clamshell tail.)
Just my thoughts,
Angela

I am not an expert in Standard-bred poultry by anyone's standards, slick4591, but it seems to me that the rear "half" of the first cockerel is disproportionately smaller than the front half, and that the second cockerel is much better proportioned. Assuming these are 2 different birds, (not just different photos of same bird,) what do these boys look like from above? My guess is that the first will show a pronounced wedge shape (narrow pelvis) while the second has a wider pelvis, and is more of a rectangle when viewed from above. (and when viewed from behind, the second will have a more open teepee tail instead of a closed clamshell tail.)
Just my thoughts,
Angela
sheepishly raising hand...this is an interesting though, that of "balance" in a bird. I was just having this discussion with someone offline. I would LOVE to "go there" if we might in this thread.

It does look like the back is a bit short, but could that be extra fluff, fluffed out, was it winter when you took the picture? Just curious if these things can affect the silhouette? Could he also be holding his head a little lower in that photo?

This photo was taken a few hours ago and we're having a spring-like day. This cockerel is smaller than the first one pictured and I had just thrown him into this new pen so he wasn't familiar with it.

Just my thoughts,
Angela

They are two different birds. The first bird was put up because it was the only good pic of one that I had. I think you are probably correct when you refer to that bird having a wedge shape. Bird two is more even from front to back. The tail is better on #2.

Would you say my boy matches the silhouette pretty well? I have a few other pictures (page 29) but they are on a earlier post.

Last edited:
Sometimes it is because the birds are hot. I had thought split wing was caused by a missing feather, but one of my Barred Rocks has split wing on one side only. He has all the correct number of feathers, but wing looks like photo posted above. I took him to a show just because I wanted a professional opinion on him and sure enough, the judge said split wing.

Do you have a picture of this bird and his wing? I culled mine and found a different extremely desirable reason to keep him... AFTER I chopped his neck!

Would you say my boy matches the silhouette pretty well? I have a few other pictures (page 29) but they are on a earlier post.
Im not expert for these kind of birds but when you are breeding for brick shapes and gravy bowls like I have you cant help think about the circle birds. You have a very nice male here such nice color, darn good shape for Wyandottes I would like to have some like these or anyone else. What is your blood line that you have?

There are only two or three lines still left in North America that is why I ask. Maybe threes a sleeper line we dont know about.

Does anyone have pictures of other colors, there is a judge in Iowa who has Partridge Wyandottes I wonder if anyone bought any of his birds over the years?

Dave Anderson in Calif has some very good Buffs for you who live in that region. You would have to contact him and when he judges or shows some where he might be able to bring you a pair or a trio to get started. He is a very good breeder.

He is from Foley. All of my silver laced are from him except 2 hatchery birds that are actually very nice quality. I have 4 partridge from Pauls poultry and 2 from foley. I agree with there only being about 3 main blood lines.

The girl on the left is from Paul and the one on the right from Foley. Sadly the girl on the left has a cross beak so I am not going to breed her. I got he from someone who didn't take care of her at all and she was near death. She looks drop dead gorgeous now. Pity she has a cross beak she would have been really nice to show.

Here is the rooster from Paul

Foley cockerel on right and Foley hen in the front left.

White Wyandotte bantams do so well at our shows..

Merle Watson is usually the winner of the wyandotte bantams around here...

These are not my birds, but I don't recall seeing any white Wyandottes posted here.. Thought it was necessary :)

Here are pictures of the other 2 Pauls Poultry girls. They has since filled out a lot. These are pictures from when I first go them.

Here are pictures of the hen in the first post with the cross beak. This is how she looked when I first got her. All I did was feed her, water her and put her in a nice clean coop. I still can't believe the person let her get to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom