CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been working with Dominique's now for several years and the biggest challenges I am faced with were short tails and feather width. I put an effort into the breeding pens last year and made good improvements in that department. Suggestions would be great for closer feathering. Seems to be an issue with most Dominique's today. And what would your opinion be on lengthening the back on the pullets? John

Here are some of my birds from last year.

200x200px-ZC-d5d7ebc8_DSC04589.jpeg

side and back profile

other pullets

10 month old, flash created brown on hackle and saddle.

brother around same age

Keeping it "Heritage"

Nice looking birds!

LL

A great example of a Dominique cockerel. I like this picture better than the side profile, it gives us a better view of the concave sweep from the hackle all the way back to the tail. The type will be complimented more as it gets older with more lessor sickles and sweeping main sickles. Breast is full and the bird stands well on its legs for a young bird. The wing points are low and width of main sickles would be picking. A small comb is a wonderful 'problem' to have. great representation of the breed buffalogal.

Okay, I went out in the cold and took current photos of my two breeder boys. This is that same Lily Plasse roo I posted in the 4mo vs. 7mo photo above, he's now about a year and a half old. I think his crop is full, I'm not used to him looking that lumpy on the front.

And this is the roo I have from Bill Post's line, I'm not sure on age but he was from last spring's hatch so probably somewhere between 8 and 10 months old? Joseph at Yellow House Farm would probably remember the actual date. :) Anyway, still a cockerel. His wattles are a little ragged at the front because he got a little frostbite during a stretch of -20F weather we had a few weeks back.

Oh and the above roo entertains us quite a bit, because he has this little head twitch he does all the time. I'm not sure if it's part of his impress-the-girls routine, or if he's just twitchy, but it makes us laugh. We call it his swizzle. While out with the camera today, I caught a photo of him in mid-swizzle. ;)

This is a very helpful string! Would y'all please help us figure out what breed/s these are? We wanted to buy Doms to help the breed and also to have thrifty foragers to provide meat and eggs for our family. In retrospect, the seller, a local, asked if we intended to show them, which we didn't at the time, but may be changing our minds (thanks, Heaven Roberts, for your infectious enthusiasm!). Now we wonder if they're really Doms. Our roo's comb seems much bumpier than, say, DraigAthar's. Any assistance would be appreciated-

Almost-1-year-old roo:

Hens, roughly same age, laying regularly:

Okay, I went out in the cold and took current photos of my two breeder boys. This is that same Lily Plasse roo I posted in the 4mo vs. 7mo photo above, he's now about a year and a half old. I think his crop is full, I'm not used to him looking that lumpy on the front.

And this is the roo I have from Bill Post's line, I'm not sure on age but he was from last spring's hatch so probably somewhere between 8 and 10 months old? Joseph at Yellow House Farm would probably remember the actual date. :) Anyway, still a cockerel. His wattles are a little ragged at the front because he got a little frostbite during a stretch of -20F weather we had a few weeks back.

Oh and the above roo entertains us quite a bit, because he has this little head twitch he does all the time. I'm not sure if it's part of his impress-the-girls routine, or if he's just twitchy, but it makes us laugh. We call it his swizzle. While out with the camera today, I caught a photo of him in mid-swizzle. ;)

Nice Doms ! I have to ask about the neck swizzle. I have a Buff Orp that does this. I have checked his ears for mites, and the vet has looked at him.Throat and ear swabs are clear. Nothing. He just does it, and so does one of his sons. What is this ?

Nice Doms ! I have to ask about the neck swizzle. I have a Buff Orp that does this. I have checked his ears for mites, and the vet has looked at him.Throat and ear swabs are clear. Nothing. He just does it, and so does one of his sons. What is this ?

If you find out, I'd love to know, too. I have another Dom, a hen (completely unrelated to this fellow) who backs up all the time. She eats fine, lays fine, acts normal otherwise, no other symptoms to make you think she's unhealthy. She just ... walks backwards. A lot. A friend teases me that I have special needs chickens, heh.

If you find out, I'd love to know, too. I have another Dom, a hen (completely unrelated to this fellow) who backs up all the time. She eats fine, lays fine, acts normal otherwise, no other symptoms to make you think she's unhealthy. She just ... walks backwards. A lot. A friend teases me that I have special needs chickens, heh.
My guy is a 14 lb Buff Orpington cock bird. He is an active and very fertile guy, who just has the swizzle!

Gallusfarm, If you prefer to have lighter colored pullets with wider white barring in your Dominiques you have to stamp it in with a very light male. Use very clean marked hens and under color is very important in the birds, especially the hen. Here is an example of a pullet breeder. John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom