CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, that's familiar. I've had a few look like that! I try not to use them in the breeding pen, though. :)

That "crown of thorns" type comb doesn't make the cut here either. The comb that you posted the close up of I would describe as puckered, rather than textured.

I don't know how other breeders select, but if I'm going to use a light colored male over dark females, what I'm looking for is overall the dark bars being a lighter shade, not really patches of pale or white. A male that from a distance appears baby blue, (noticeably lighter than the other males), but is otherwise a good bird. I still want the markings to be even, but "less saturated".
smile.png
This really is a breed that if you're wanting to show both sexes, it's better to run a male and female line, because of the natural difference in the barring with males being about half as dark as the females.

Ok, I don't do this breed. I know in barred rocks the males are lighter/ whiter looking than the females are the doms to look this way also? Why do you want lighter colored females? Thanks for the information its very interesting!

If you want your birds to meet the SOP color, I don't think I would use a light female unless it was mated to a very dark male. Many colors fail in the chest of a bird. Particularly in the females. You can go backwards with this color very quickly.

Walt

I feel it is more of a pattern issue of the lighter barring not being wide enough than it is color for Gallusfarm to achieve the desired look of the old Schilling hen illustration. Going to extremes with a lighter male is a crap shoot but would help improve the width of the light barring to get this pattern. record keeping is a must. All of my birds with the wider light barring have a lighter pattern in the breast. but not to uneven in color so far..... I always have other pullets in the line to fall back on since I only get about 30% of them with the wide light barring. AS for the SOP color of the Dominique, stating color stopping short of positive black and white, this gives the breeder more of a preference in their desired color of grey for their birds. What is your opinion of this statement?

1st gen cock bird (hatchery)

of of the 2nd gen bird (young, sorry no adult photos) by the above cock bird

one of this year's cockerels,. I think about 7mo in this photo? by the above bird, so first bird pictured is granddaddy

>> that's a first gen hen in the background, not looking too happy right there lol

Just a few random ladies that happened to be in the barn isle - I went out to get photos of some rabbits, sorry for the mess. A few culls in there but oh well.

Another cockerel...

Excuse the mess, we are clearly an ongoing construction zone!

Young bird

A group of young birds hanging out... man I need to get some updated photos!

Will wait to hear you all's thoughts on them before I say what we had hoped to accomplish this year.

Last edited:
ew that bird in the front in this bottom picture is GONE wish I could erase it from memory, but I guess that's what you get for taking group shots before you cull!

If you want your birds to meet the SOP color, I don't think I would use a light female unless it was mated to a very dark male. Many colors fail in the chest of a bird. Particularly in the females. You can go backwards with this color very quickly.

Walt

I feel it is more of a pattern issue of the lighter barring not being wide enough than it is color for Gallusfarm to achieve the desired look of the old Schilling hen illustration. Going to extremes with a lighter male is a crap shoot but would help improve the width of the light barring to get this pattern. record keeping is a must. All of my birds with the wider light barring have a lighter pattern in the breast. but not to uneven in color so far..... I always have other pullets in the line to fall back on since I only get about 30% of them with the wide light barring. AS for the SOP color of the Dominique, stating color stopping short of positive black and white, this gives the breeder more of a preference in their desired color of grey for their birds. What is your opinion of this statement?

"Originally Posted by Delight in Dominiques

Gallusfarm, If you prefer to have lighter colored pullets with wider white barring in your Dominiques you have to stamp it in with a very light male. Use very clean marked hens and under color is very important in the birds, especially the hen. Here is an example of a pullet breeder. John"

My opinion is that I would not use that pullet breeder you suggested for color unless it was the only bird I had. Excellence in Dominiques color is determined by distinct contrasts (short of positive black or white) and V shaped barring. Some of the birds posted here have Plymouth Rock barring. I don't see how washed out birds would be helpful unless you breed to extremes of color and hope you get right on with some of them..
Washed out chest color is a sure sign of overall weak color. Record keeping and permanent ID markings on the bird is a must for any serious breeder. As you stated undercolor is very important and usually a light bird has light undercolor that does not meet the slate color the SOP requires.....and they throw light undercolor offspring. My opinion is based on what I have seen barred breeds do.

Walt

I have started tracking yellow vs silver downed chicks - we have them both here (where the dot on the head is yellow or silver, never keep a rust or full yellow colored Dom chick lol). Will keep you all posted on what the results are as we go through spring hatching. We toe punch and wing band everything, have learned a LOT doing this and raising many many chicks now we know what we want to see on day one, week one, week eight, etc. for them to stick around. The pullet that was in one of those photos I posted was probably missed with that head I would have normally culled her at day one for having a head like that, oh well.

I have started tracking yellow vs silver downed chicks - we have them both here (where the dot on the head is yellow or silver, never keep a rust or full yellow colored Dom chick lol). Will keep you all posted on what the results are as we go through spring hatching. We toe punch and wing band everything, have learned a LOT doing this and raising many many chicks now we know what we want to see on day one, week one, week eight, etc. for them to stick around. The pullet that was in one of those photos I posted was probably missed with that head I would have normally culled her at day one for having a head like that, oh well.
I would love to hear more about the things you cull for at day one, or at other intervals during development. Also would definitely know if you can draw any conclusions about the yellow vs. silver head spot. Any advice you can give as to what features to look for in a day old chick that will reliably translate to adult features, good or bad, would be awesome!

I would love to hear more about the things you cull for at day one, or at other intervals during development. Also would definitely know if you can draw any conclusions about the yellow vs. silver head spot. Any advice you can give as to what features to look for in a day old chick that will reliably translate to adult features, good or bad, would be awesome!

In fact, that topic would be a good one for the DCA newsletter.......
cool.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom