CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st gen cock bird (hatchery)

one of this year's cockerels,. I think about 7mo in this photo? by the above bird, so first bird pictured is granddaddy

>> that's a first gen hen in the background, not looking too happy right there lol

Just a few random ladies that happened to be in the barn isle - I went out to get photos of some rabbits, sorry for the mess. A few culls in there but oh well.

Another cockerel...

What a positive difference!
yesss.gif
From the pictures, I'd say you're doing a great job "building the barn". You and Rhonda have really developed an eye for the breed. How did that last cockerel's tail grow out. (And if he ended up going to Japan, I don't want to know.)

Last edited:
He never grew in a tail and never would have - a pullet sire only. We culled him from breeding as he kept having chicks with inverted combs and split wings. I think I have maybe three or four pullets and a couple of cockerels still from him will see if they have the same issues, they are still young so don't know if they'll ever make it to breeding age.

He was by a cock bird that was the same way on lack of full flowing tail, so not surprising and okay with us. That old cock bird ("Sundance") had great meat characteristics as well as his female relatives being outstanding layers, but was very dark, no real sickle development, etc. I am very happy we were able to bring out a bit of better color from that line I will try to find a photo of Sundance to show you what I mean.

Edited to add photos... here is "Sundance" as a cock bird (another first gen bird)

And here are a couple of photos of him as a cockerel...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Delight in Dominiques

Gallusfarm, If you prefer to have lighter colored pullets with wider white barring in your Dominiques you have to stamp it in with a very light male. Use very clean marked hens and under color is very important in the birds, especially the hen. Here is an example of a pullet breeder. John"

My opinion is that I would not use that pullet breeder you suggested for color unless it was the only bird I had. Excellence in Dominiques color is determined by distinct contrasts (short of positive black or white) and V shaped barring. Some of the birds posted here have Plymouth Rock barring. I don't see how washed out birds would be helpful unless you breed to extremes of color and hope you get right on with some of them..
Washed out chest color is a sure sign of overall weak color. Record keeping and permanent ID markings on the bird is a must for any serious breeder. As you stated undercolor is very important and usually a light bird has light undercolor that does not meet the slate color the SOP requires.....and they throw light undercolor offspring. My opinion is based on what I have seen barred breeds do.

Walt

So then to if a breeder desires a wider light barring in the Hens, they would look for the pattern to come from the Hen? I posted some pics of some Hens and the bottom picture is not my bird. With this pattern would you feel it is going to be difficult to keep this pattern from washing out in future generations? Of my birds below undercolor is excellent and barring is deep to the web. What would your recommendation be of Cockerel to mate this bird to? Thanks for your reply. John

The gene that makes good clean narrow barring on any Barred bird is the slow Feathering Gene (K), the Barring gene is just a on off switch and turns color on and off.

Barring Gene: B
Barring is a Sex-link gene that stops and starts pigment production as in feather growth to give the well-known barring pattern as seen on Barred Rocks. The extremely narrow and sharp barring seen on the Barred Plymouth Rocks is achieved by the presence of the gene ('K') for very slow feathering growth, which allows for a lot of on/off sequences in the time it takes for a feather to grow. The same barring gene ('B') when on a rapid feathering breed gives wide, coarse, fuzzy "Cuckoo Barring" as seen on the American Dominique, Cuckoo Marans, Cochins and others. The barring gene also interacts with the gene on the E locus, all of the above examples being based on the E plus melantoics. Thus all these barring and cuckoo breeds would be self-black if they did not have the barring gene. This gene has greater pigment-restricting effect on black pigment than it does on red or gold pigment.

Chris

Thanks for the clear explanation Chris, I have been trying to figure out exactly the difference between barred and cuckoo.
Your Welcome,

The only real difference between the clean barring of a Barred Plymouth Rock and a "dirty" barring of a Dominique is the K gene.
If one only keeps the fastest feathering chicks then there barring is going to be wide and very course on the other hand if one keeps only slow feathering chicks then there barring will be more clean and narrow.

Chris

So Chris we have tracked fast vs slow feathering and found that some of the fastest feathered cockerels have very very even barring especially in the saddle area... thoughts?

So Chris we have tracked fast vs slow feathering and found that some of the fastest feathered cockerels have very very even barring especially in the saddle area... thoughts?
Even barring and barring that is clean and narrow are somewhat two different things, Even barring means that the Barring Gene (B) is "turning on and off" pigment equally.

Chris

Even barring and barring that is clean and narrow are somewhat two different things, Even barring means that the Barring Gene (B) is "turning on and off" pigment equally.

Chris
Sorry I should say - they look like they have barred rock barring, barring that is even, clean and narrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom