CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I believe the sheen is genetic and will pass on. Purple sheen cannot be made green no matter what you feed them or how you keep them. I have crossed purple sheen to green and find it often results in both sheens on the bird. I try not to use the purple ones. ("Beetle Green" is desired.) According to Sigrid Van Dort, the presence of Ar+ (Autosomal red) will enhance the green sheen. The purple sheen suggests ar (the absence of Autosomal red). Melanisers are responsible for the green sheen so you might find a BCM cock with a purple sheen gives you more copper on his daughters. Might be worth trying ....

Last edited:
I believe the sheen is genetic and will pass on. Purple sheen cannot be made green no matter what you feed them or how you keep them. I have crossed purple sheen to green and find it often results in both sheens on the bird. I try not to use the purple ones. ("Beetle Green" is desired.) According to Sigrid Van Dort, the presence of Ar+ (Autosomal red) will enhance the green sheen. The purple sheen suggests ar (the absence of Autosomal red). Melanisers are responsible for the green sheen so you might find a BCM cock with a purple sheen gives you more copper on his daughters. Might be worth trying ....
Thank you, this is interesting........ It is a pullet that has the purple sheen from a breeding of a Father/Daughter who both have green sheen. The other youngsters of this mating have the green sheen. Only have 6 on the ground so far, about 20 more to go for the test mating..........

Thank you, this is interesting........ It is a pullet that has the purple sheen from a breeding of a Father/Daughter who both have green sheen. The other youngsters of this mating have the green sheen. Only have 6 on the ground so far, about 20 more to go for the test mating..........
Ah, so ! When you inbreed you MUST keep only the correct birds...NO MATTER WHO THEY'RE PARENTS ARE.You have flushed out a recessive gene for purple. GET RID OF IT. Only by strong culling will you make your Genotype ( what you can't see) resemble your Phenotype ( What you CAN see.). Keeping inbred birds that do not show the characteristics you want just sets you back into muddy waters. No fun in that mud puddle........Keep the green ones.

Ah, so ! When you inbreed you MUST keep only the correct birds...NO MATTER WHO THEY'RE PARENTS ARE.You have flushed out a recessive gene for purple. GET RID OF IT. Only by strong culling will you make your Genotype ( what you can't see) resemble your Phenotype ( What you CAN see.). Keeping inbred birds that do not show the characteristics you want just sets you back into muddy waters. No fun in that mud puddle........Keep the green ones.
Got it! You guys are the best!!!

Quote:

Hmm... so this might be the genetic explanation for what I've read (cannot relocate the source) that old-time Java breeders would keep a few birds with some auburn hackle feathers in their flocks in order to help maintain the green sheen?

Hmm... so this might be the genetic explanation for what I've read (cannot relocate the source) that old-time Java breeders would keep a few birds with some auburn hackle feathers in their flocks in order to help maintain the green sheen?
========================================
Chapter 2 latter half. Purple barring, bronze feathers in black birds.
http://archive.org/stream/cu31924003158312#page/n23/mode/2up
Best Regards,
Karen
-------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Quote:

Makes sense to me. I imagine they had to be very careful which auburn hackled birds they used. Probably had to be sure they were careful avoiding anything resembling a purple sheen to be sure they were getting all the melanisers they were after so their black stays black. (I've heard it said that presence of an extreme beetle green sheen on the Black Copper Marans suggests over-melanisation and is often connected to a lack of copper on the females so there are obviously different ways for the red to express on a black bird.) Black, it seems, is not entirely straightforward!

Not a bad idea with any black bird. I raised Black Rosecombs for many years & would occasionally keep a male with some red in his hackle to strengthen the green sheen on females. Got this tip from an old ABA Judge who sold me my first Black Rosecombs. I've talked to some current, well known Rosecomb breeders who do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom