CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a cool thing that Delawares can get a complete "Do-Over".
smile.png

It couldn't have happened if others had not kept the quality components. Since the Delaware is fairly recent breed, barely making the heritage classification most folks use, as I understand it, the breed had a rapid rise but a rapid crash and virtual extinction. Because Frank Reese kept those great ringlet Barred Rocks that Jeremy has and because the German New Hampshire, by fate of history, kept alive an awesome strain of that bird that Doug Akers had, the ingredients were available.

Using hatchery quality Barred Rocks and hatchery quality New Hampshire would never have produced these quality birds, even if the "recipe" was followed. Thus, breed preservation wins another award in this case.

Plus, Kathy has a commitment and eye that is rare, in my view. Ask me how I know.
wink.png

Last edited:
I agree Fred - in reading tousands of pages of posts on the Dels and heritage breeds I have come to the conclusion on Dels there are now three grades. Hatchery grade that only God knows whats in them - Breeder grade that some one has worked on several years but because of the past is hard to get close to SOP [ there is no original Heritage Del remaining that anyone has found IMHO] and then there is the brand New KIMNIM line thats going to be the new Del from heritage BR/HR that Kathy is working on.

OK Fred you put the hook and bait out . I will bite " How do you know" ? Is it the evil eye LOL

and ZANNA
I think your Dels are outstanding considering the stock we are all starting from . You have done an excellent job on them. I like your first line best
Thank you so much, it means a lot to have some encouragement!

It couldn't have happened if others had not kept the quality components. Since the Delaware is fairly recent breed, barely making the heritage classification most folks use, as I understand it, the breed had a rapid rise but a rapid crash and virtual extinction. Because Frank Reese kept those great ringlet Barred Rocks that Jeremy has and because the German New Hampshire, by fate of history, kept alive an awesome strain of that bird that Doug Akers had, the ingredients were available.

Using hatchery quality Barred Rocks and hatchery quality New Hampshire would never have produced these quality birds, even if the "recipe" was followed. Thus, breed preservation wins another award in this case.

Plus, Kathy has a commitment and eye that is rare, in my view. Ask me how I know.
wink.png

Unrelated to the point of this thread, but valid. If you'll notice, Kathy's join date to this site was 2009. I remember she was one of the first time chicken keepers when I started, I followed her story like many others on this site. Fascinating how she has excelled over just a few short years and now she is a go to person for information and quality birds. Demonstrates that someone "new" can make a difference to these breeds if they make the right connections and are willing to listen, learn and share. Kudos to Kathy.

Unrelated to the point of this thread, but valid. If you'll notice, Kathy's join date to this site was 2009. I remember she was one of the first time chicken keepers when I started, I followed her story like many others on this site. Fascinating how she has excelled over just a few short years and now she is a go to person for information and quality birds. Demonstrates that someone "new" can make a difference to these breeds if they make the right connections and are willing to listen, learn and share. Kudos to Kathy.
x2

OK Fred you put the hook and bait out . I will bite " How do you know" ? Is it the evil eye LOL

Kathy bred our original Barred Rocks. Sure, they came from JWhip stock who got them from Frank Reese stock, but nonetheless. Now, they are up to us to continue to breed, preserve and enjoy.

Last edited:
Quote: Boy you said a mouth full. Many have grabed a hold of some of the secrets and ran with them. She is one of the top ones I have seen in a while but heck there are many on here who in two or three years will be in the same club. That's what we need to keep our hobby going. Share and Teach but most of all keep Learning.

Boy you said a mouth full. Many have grabed a hold of some of the secrets and ran with them. She is one of the top ones I have seen in a while but heck there are many on here who in two or three years will be in the same club. That's what we need to keep our hobby going. Share and Teach but most of all keep Learning.

goodpost.gif

When I first met Kathy we had some epic online fights.......ahahaha. Since then I have been to her place and consider her a friend. She has something a lot of people don't have. She has the eye to see the bird for what it really is and no longer is dazzled by the exterior or first impression of a bird. She will probably be embarrassed by all the kudo's, but it does show what kind of results a person can have if they seek out information and don't believe everything they read online without checking it out. None of the success has come easy and while the timeline does seem short, it does not reflect the amount of birds and work she has done.

Her birds in person are much more striking than they are in pictures.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom