CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

When Kathy told me she wanted to reinvent the Wheel on this breed I looked on Bing Pictures and every site to look for a Delaware picture worth getting excited about. All I saw was washed out necks and tails. In other woods normal production feed store looking stuff. Many had strains but they where 20 years away from something like this guy. He may need a little more barring in the neck but I like his tail color and sure has the shape.

I am so glad you took this picture Kathy as in my MINDS EYE I have a project for him. I have said this before and some think I am a WAK Job but in order to be a successful breeder of anything you have to have VISION. We are not all born with this gift. Some of us can not think fast enough when we need to. Yesterday at work a young girl asked me Bob how can I get the birth days of our patients with out speeding all the time pulling their medical charts to look for them. I thought in two seconds I reached up to my Medicine Cart handed her my MARS book and said they are on the bottom of each page their medications are on. She said how can you do that so fast. I said to myself I was trained by the Quickest Eye in the West with Chickens. He had VISION not to breed but to buy birds as a String Man and show them. In order to do what Kathy has done you must have this gift or trait and that is using your minds eye in breeding.

There is a conversation on the H Standard Breed Poultry Tread about two different types of Colombian Plymouth Rocks that Yard Full of Rocks is dealing with. One feathers and grows slow and one group feathers and grows fast. How or what does he got to do to balance this out. Kathy had to do the same with these guys. Still is and with VISION she is looking into the future or future mattings. She may be looking for a male or female and he or she has not been born yet but one day she will see this bird and he or she will spring board her up some more. One day she will have a bird on Champion Row at a show.

You wont be leave this but because of Kathy we located a strain of Orange Chickens which I really have no use for and a Cockerel was not only Champion Large Fowl at a new Winter Show but was Reserve Grand Champion of the show. To me this was one of the biggest wins for the Orange Chicken Breed in 50 years as I don't remember ever reading in Poultry Presses where one ever got that high and betting out ten of the top bantams in the south at this show. Un -heard of but it could happen to the Delaware's some day once many get this line and breed them. This Orange Chicken is part of the make up of this old breed called the Delaware.

Well I enjoyed your snow scenes Kathy. I got to go out side and Mow Grass and check the blooms on my Wild Black Berry Bushes. Its Spring Time in the South. I do miss the Snow but I don't like cold weather anymore.

Bob

When Kathy told me she wanted to reinvent the Wheel on this breed I looked on Bing Pictures and every site to look for a Delaware picture worth getting excited about. All I saw was washed out necks and tails. In other woods normal production feed store looking stuff. Many had strains but they where 20 years away from something like this guy. He may need a little more barring in the neck but I like his tail color and sure has the shape.

You wont be leave this but because of Kathy we located a strain of Orange Chickens which I really have no use for and a Cockerel was not only Champion Large Fowl at a new Winter Show but was Reserve Grand Champion of the show. To me this was one of the biggest wins for the Orange Chicken Breed in 50 years as I don't remember ever reading in Poultry Presses where one ever got that high and betting out ten of the top bantams in the south at this show. Un -heard of but it could happen to the Delaware's some day once many get this line and breed them. This Orange Chicken is part of the make up of this old breed called the Delaware.
Well said Bob - I agree. I think this line is going to be the reincarnation of the Heritage Delaware .

New Hampshire.

When you are a Reds guy, like Bob, it hard for the tongue to form the words sometimes. LOL

Or like Walt says too, Bob sometimes types in "literary license" which means he can type, spell, or say it however he wants to
lol.png
LOL

Oh by the way Fred, I noticed you have a new avvy, looks good, NICE
thumbsup.gif

I was just out yesterday evening studying up on a few(5) of my GSBR males to see who's going into the pen for breeding up the next round of "pure awesomeness" My neighbors walked by as I was sitting on my thinking chair(milk crate), pondering the notions/choices, I'm sure they were saying look at that idiot in there staring at his chickens again but they waved and responded politely though, LOL

Jeff

Oh and to keep this on track too I did gather up my Delaware F1 project boy #1 and checked him out real good and he said he is ready to do his deal in the pen, so there will be some little F2 Del projects running amongst the others here this spring too. I'm a good bit behind Mrs. Kathy but I will get there in due time. I had/have a different venue of approach to the project to figure on but will do as she's done(with great results, I might add) too and have a few ideas of my own to experiment with also. They will be nice for sure.

Last edited:
Whether one looks at the Old Almanacs as wives tales or truths I say it hits more than it misses, there's eons of tried and trued knowledge/history compiled into that book and as we well know history has a way/habit of repeating itself, continuously.

Jeff

I know I should have an SOP, but unfortunately I can't afford one ATM. So I'm wondering if the Delaware should have barring in the hackles? Because in the SOP pictures from the Delaware thread, it looks like points of color? Or is that just the effect?

Quote: My grandmother, who will be 97 this summer, always planted by the almanac/phases of the moon. And her garden was always phenomenal, outproduced everyone else in the family, despite using the same fertilizers and such.

Barring in the hackles of the male and stippling(which does look sort of like barring, more like broken dim striping) in the necks of the females, yes.

Jeff

Last edited:
My grandmother, who will be 97 this summer, always planted by the almanac/phases of the moon. And her garden was always phenomenal, outproduced everyone else in the family, despite using the same fertilizers and such.
Plant corn when the oak leaves are the size of a squirrel's ear. A fantastic gardener told me that years ago. Of course, we'll probably still have snow on the ground when the oak leaves are squirrel-ear-sized.

Love and high-fives to your grandmother. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom