CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! This thread has taken awhile to get through but it's been so helpful. Found out 85% of my flock has pinched rears and that young GNH pullet I thought was quite special has stripes in her hackles instead of the "necklace" of black tips. Love the circle drawing for the wyandotte too. It really helps visualize the type.

Keep coming with more of those basic, across the breeds type pointers!

Barring in the hackles of the male and stippling(which does look sort of like barring, more like broken dim striping) in the necks of the females, yes.

Jeff
I see, thank you for that clarification :)
Thank you, thank you, thank you! This thread has taken awhile to get through but it's been so helpful. Found out 85% of my flock has pinched rears and that young GNH pullet I thought was quite special has stripes in her hackles instead of the "necklace" of black tips. Love the circle drawing for the wyandotte too. It really helps visualize the type.

Keep coming with more of those basic, across the breeds type pointers!
Aww, they're still special, LOL. I don't have any show quality birds...yet. If I ever get a place out of the city, I'll try to delve properly into my favorite bird, but for now, there is no space to properly have a breeding program. :( Still, I love learning here!

I see, thank you for that clarification :)
Aww, they're still special, LOL. I don't have any show quality birds...yet. If I ever get a place out of the city, I'll try to delve properly into my favorite bird, but for now, there is no space to properly have a breeding program. :( Still, I love learning here!
From what some of the experienced breeders say, you don't need that much room to breed to the SOP. Just a breeding trio will work (provided you are allowed to have roosters in the city or you have access to a rooster from someone else). You don't even have to hatch hundreds of chicks, just pick the best ones out of what you do hatch to continue breeding with. Bob Blosl has a lot of good information on his website to help with breeding, especially info to help breed on a small scale. Since it takes years anyway usually, until you are consistently breeding really great SOP birds, you may as well start now, even if you have to start really small! :)

Well, I plan on breeding to replace my layers when needed, but I'll be happy to keep the quality up until I can move out of the city. I'm allowed roosters, but my neighbor hates their noise. So my boys have to live in the house now, and I think that's a bummer of a life, but then, they're alive, right?
hu.gif
and they do get a lot of attention from us. I hope this one couple with land near by who want to raise chickens might allow me to keep the boys there some day? We're just getting to know them, and they us, plus they're just moving in themselves, so we'll see if our interests will merge :)

That will be good I have a friend who wants some eggs for me to hatch for him. He has tried two years and got nothing but junk. Maybe we can find someone who can help me help him.

That will be good I have a friend who wants some eggs for me to hatch for him. He has tried two years and got nothing but junk. Maybe we can find someone who can help me help him.

Try Duane Urch. I had Giants from him several years ago & they were massive. Males routinely went 14+ pounds withs shanks about an inch & a half in diameter. Showed them against the President of the Giant Club a couple of times & beat him both times. Did what I usually do: worked with them a few years & gave them away. Had good luck with everything I ever bought from Duane, he's a great breeder.

Jersey Giants​

Our next unit will begin on Sunday afternoon. Until then, this thread is dedicated to Large Fowl, The study and sharing of challenges associated with breeding to the Standard.

Hopefully, over the last two days of this unit, a few more Delaware folks will chime in, before we move on to the Black brothers' Giants.

Reminder: each unit gets edited for the removal of all extraneous comments, chit chat and conversations. The purpose is to keep the thread as clean as possible, useful as an archive and shorter in length for future reference. Thanks to everyone who participates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom