CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, looking at the photos you posted, would you agree that the Cockerel 1 is carrying his wings a little low as well ? Looks like Cockerel 2 wings are tucked up a little higher IMO. Just trying to learn the differences in what is correct / incorrect, and i'm sure there is many different opinions on the subject.
Yes, in that photo, yes. Cockerel 1 in another photo showing he can hold his wing higher--

sometimes a picture captures them in movement -- usually one who holds his wings wrong all the time will have them pointed down ALL the time and it is that slant all the way down like in Karen's photo I am referring. I had a cock bird that carried his wing like that. He had great type so I used him for breeding but I was careful not to keep offspring that held wings down.

IMO, this is what a Buckeye cockerel should look like and is what I'm striving for in my breeding program.

The back should be long and sloping slightly downward before the tail starts. The tail should be 40 degrees and many of the other birds pictured don't have much of a tail angle. This bird also needs a bit more in the lower chest, although it is close.

Color and posture of birds pictured can be the result of how the bird is standing at the time of the photo and color will look different on all of our monitors and different depending on the lighting.

Walt

Since I am following the thread and I am the Chairman of the APA Standards Committee, I can say that these little quotes are not a problem with the APA. We get annoyed when folks copy every part of the description. So far, no problem. The APA is more concerned that people know thier beeds and I consdier this discussion...so far....as acceptable. The info that you noted earlier on the Buckeye site has photo's to go along with the descriptions, so it is more useful to those of us who are visual people.

Walt

Last edited by a moderator:

Judges don't see a lot of Buckeyes after they pass their judging test. Did these judges look at their SOP while judging them or are they Buckeye breeders. I'm not trying to pick on anyone, but many judges judge on condition when they don't know the breed. In addition many judges don't even have s Standard with them when they judge....they are supposed to have it with them and they are supposed to refer to it if they are not familiar with the breed. Low wing carriage is a pretty serious fault. If tight horizontal wings make the saddle feathers stick out something else is causing that. I have seen it in other breeds and some of those birds didn't have particularly tight wing carriage.

You can't go wrong if you go my the letter of the SOP.

Walt

Last edited by a moderator:
Please consider this a firm warning: this thread is NOT intended for bickering, for breed club comparisons, for "she said/he said," etc. Y'all need to be respectful and appreciative that we have folks like Walt to pop in and help with most excellent feedback.

If I were Walt, I'd be taking a very long vacation from this thread.

We are ALL here to learn - this cannot and will not happen in an atmosphere of contention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom