CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know any breeders who would say that color is more important than type. There have been disagreements between breeders as to whether or not the slate bar is supposed to be there. Should is the word used in the SOP. This thread is about the SOP therefore my question to Walt was answered when he says that the SOP calls for a slate bar regardless of the outer color. I just wanted clarifying. Thanks again Walt for your input.

Last edited:
Back in the day when you shook hands with Grant, you ended up with a buckeye nut in your hand. It was his way of promoting the Buckeye chicken.

w.

This is part of my emotional attachment to the Buckeye chicken. My grandparents had (it's still there, but they have both passed) a large Buckeye tree in the front yard of their little weekend house on the family farm in southeast OH (I am originally from east of Cleveland.) My grandfather always had a Buckeye nut with him. When he died and my mom and grandmother and I were going through his clothing, we found a Buckeye nut in the pocket of every pair of pants and jacket he owned. I have some of those still, and consider them my most prized possessions.

That's why when I found out there was a breed of chicken called the Buckeye I just knew I had to have some!

Just catching up on this thread, and as I looked through the Buckeye photos I was wondering, to my eyes it looks like with very few exceptions (one being the cockerel cgmcary posted and Walt liked) it seems like the vast majority of them have either flat backs like RIR's or backs that rise to meet the tail like a Plymouth Rock, and very few have the "sloping slightly downward" part that is called for by the Standard. Is this just because of the way they are standing in the photos or is this a known issue with the breed. I ask because I have a few friends considering them.

Just catching up on this thread, and as I looked through the Buckeye photos I was wondering, to my eyes it looks like with very few exceptions (one being the cockerel cgmcary posted and Walt liked) it seems like the vast majority of them have either flat backs like RIR's or backs that rise to meet the tail like a Plymouth Rock, and very few have the "sloping slightly downward" part that is called for by the Standard. Is this just because of the way they are standing in the photos or is this a known issue with the breed. I ask because I have a few friends considering them.

Good question.

I think part of the problem with the "cushion" in particular" is that it may hide the actual lay of a given hens back. So while a hen's back may have that slope as called for by the Standard, and which can be felt during a manual examination of the bird (which is why again, I say one should not just rely upon a photo, but should always pick up birds and examine them), if she has a cushion, that may hide the way in which her back actually slopes, or not, as the case may be.

I don't know if it is a "known issue with the breed" per se, but it's likely something that could be worked on and improved in the breed. I certainly don't think that I would consider it a reason NOT to get into Buckeyes.

Walt, when looking at the various pics of Laura's and Chris' cocks/cockerels, could you address the issue of the sickles a bit?

The SOP calls for "medium in length, nicely curved". Specifically, could you let us know what would be considered too short or too long and how to determine that. TIA.

God Bless,

This is part of my emotional attachment to the Buckeye chicken. My grandparents had (it's still there, but they have both passed) a large Buckeye tree in the front yard of their little weekend house on the family farm in southeast OH (I am originally from east of Cleveland.) My grandfather always had a Buckeye nut with him. When he died and my mom and grandmother and I were going through his clothing, we found a Buckeye nut in the pocket of every pair of pants and jacket he owned. I have some of those still, and consider them my most prized possessions.

That's why when I found out there was a breed of chicken called the Buckeye I just knew I had to have some!

Great story. I really like those kind of connections. When I was sworn in as a Judge I used my Grandfather's Bible from 1898.

Last edited:
The Buckeyes I have seen at the shows do not have a problem with the angle of their backs so I would say it is stance in the photo related. As far as tail angles, rather than being a structural defect in the bird, it is often just the pope's nose on that particular bird or how it is angling his pope's nose. As you are aware, a chicken can hold it tail at differnt angles. I have noticed judges poking a bird to get it to move about and show its proper stance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom