CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tailfeathers, maybe you could get permission to post those pics and have a discussion here about those said birds.

Rodents - the other large bugs.

Love the lively discussion on a breed that obviously is much more popular than I thought! I have found the pictures and discussion of type very helpful, and the link to different Buckeye ideals - eyes, combs, etc. - went on my bookmark list. Are we sticking to APA birds only, or would there be any use in visiting some that are not accepted yet, like Iowa Blues?

Walt, you don't seem mean to me at all - clear, concise, and honest, yes.

Last edited:
So, have we run low on Buckeye class material?

If so, we can begin to look forward to the next unit.

There are a couple of American Class breeds left, but the Hollands and Lamona are so rare that participation might be hard to come by. The English, Continental and Mediterranean classes also have extremely rare breeds, but many popular breeds that would hold a lot of interest.

So, let's see those Buckeyes and let's ask those questions and make those comments.
I know Jon Alden is working on Lamona's at the moment. Maybe he could post some pictures and go over them?

The problem with posts made on threads like this or others is that people can completely misconstrue and misread "how one says it".
One last note on this line of thought - from a moderating standpoint, we DO take into consideration the thread and the thought behind the original intent of the thread. For example, a comment like, "I would chop off the head of that bird & eat it" would be viewed differently in the Heritage Large Fowl thread than it would be in a thread about someone's backyard hatchery birds. We talk about this often in the Staff section.

Please remember that we (staff) are here to keep the peace on the site, and we do so by determining whether rules - rules that are agreed to by everyone who is a member here -have been broken. Please don't blame us for "doing our jobs." That said, many staff are also here as members, to learn and move our breeds on, just like y'all are!
smile.png

Rodents - the other large bugs.

Love the lively discussion on a breed that obviously is much more popular than I thought! I have found the pictures and discussion of type very helpful, and the link to different Buckeye ideals - eyes, combs, etc. - went on my bookmark list. Are we sticking to APA birds only, or would there be any use in visiting some that are not accepted yet, like Iowa Blues?

Walt, you don't seem mean to me at all - clear, concise, and honest, yes.
Being that there is a proposed standard posted on the IBCC website, I would like to see Iowa Blues looked at as well.

As long as someone posts their own pictures and requesting critiquing, negative feedback in a constructive manner is a good thing. That said, taking someone else's photo from their Ebay ad, without their permission or knowledge, and posting on a public forum for discussion on quality could easily be considered trolling.

So, have we run low on Buckeye class material?

If so, we can begin to look forward to the next unit.

There are a couple of American Class breeds left, but the Hollands and Lamona are so rare that participation might be hard to come by. The English, Continental and Mediterranean classes also have extremely rare breeds, but many popular breeds that would hold a lot of interest.

So, let's see those Buckeyes and let's ask those questions and make those comments.
what is the difference between a barred rock and a barred Holland? As I have tried to figure it out but haven't been able to (might be due to lack of computer skills at times
hide.gif
)

Last edited:
what is the difference between a barred rock and a barred Holland? As I have tried to figure it out but haven't been able to (might be due to lack of computer skills at times
hide.gif
)
From what I read, totally different "type"....Hollands are smaller overall, larger combs, shorter back, different tail set than Plymouth Rocks. Also, I would assume that "barred hollands" are cuckoo in color (V shaped barring) and Barred Rocks should be straight barring

Hope that helps!!

From what I read, totally different "type"....Hollands are smaller overall, larger combs, shorter back, different tail set than Plymouth Rocks. Also, I would assume that "barred hollands" are cuckoo in color (V shaped barring) and Barred Rocks should be straight barring

Hope that helps!!
lol it does in a way but like most pictures help even more!!
lol.png
now to find pictures of both to compare what you said Thanks!

Being that there is a proposed standard posted on the IBCC website, I would like to see Iowa Blues looked at as well.

As long as someone posts their own pictures and requesting critiquing, negative feedback in a constructive manner is a good thing. That said, taking someone else's photo from their Ebay ad, without their permission or knowledge, and posting on a public forum for discussion on quality could easily be considered trolling.

Since it is in the acceptance process I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of some.....but Fred is running this thread, so it is up to him. I have read the proposed Standard, but I need to see some good examples at some point. If not here PM them to me.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom