CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
About those buckeyes........for what I believe is the first time in history, Shumaker farms won Grand Champion of an APA sanctioned show over the weekend with a buckeye cock. I believe multiple judges thought his wing carriage was spot on. Just thought I would share the news and congratulate him on a huge success.

Last edited:
About those buckeyes........for what I believe is the first time in history, Shumaker farms won Grand Champion of an APA sanctioned show over the weekend with a buckeye cock. I believe multiple judges thought his wing carriage was spot on. Just thought I would share the news and congratulate him on a huge success.

Picture? How many birds in the show?

w.

Quote:
In my experience purple barring has been genetic AND/OR feed. I believe that feed will make the purple barring worse if the bird has the genetic propensity to have it, while some birds of the same breed will never get it, even if you feed them a diet of yellow corn. The problem with basing some of this stuff on genetics is.......most of us don't really know what our birds are carrying. You have learned a lot Karen. You get the Sunday cookie.

Walt

Hmmm... FEED may affect the degree of purple barring? I was going to increase the yellow corn in their diet to try to get some more yellow showing in the soles of their feet. If yellow corn brings out the purple in genetically pre-disposed birds, I am going to have to push this crew hard to try to find those genes that don't express the purple. Or find some other way to get more yellow pigment into their feet. Of course, that pushing is a few years down the roard - after I've got the size and shape improved.

Hmmm... FEED may affect the degree of purple barring? I was going to increase the yellow corn in their diet to try to get some more yellow showing in the soles of their feet. If yellow corn brings out the purple in genetically pre-disposed birds, I am going to have to push this crew hard to try to find those genes that don't express the purple. Or find some other way to get more yellow pigment into their feet. Of course, that pushing is a few years down the roard - after I've got the size and shape improved.
It is just a guess but I'm thinking about the ingredients that make yolk color nice and dark yellow, reaching toward orange. Alfalfa does this, as do other varieties of dark green foodstuffs like grass, kale, chard, etc. Also, what about carrots? I shred carrots into my birds' feed for variety and to try and get those nice dark yolks as I have no grazing available here. Would these same ingredients work like the corn to put yellow in their feet? After all, I think it is the Vitamin A in corn that does this, right?

It is just a guess but I'm thinking about the ingredients that make yolk color nice and dark yellow, reaching toward orange. Alfalfa does this, as do other varieties of dark green foodstuffs like grass, kale, chard, etc. Also, what about carrots? I shred carrots into my birds' feed for variety and to try and get those nice dark yolks as I have no grazing available here. Would these same ingredients work like the corn to put yellow in their feet? After all, I think it is the Vitamin A in corn that does this, right?
Not to be contrary....but according to the "genetics guys" yellow legs/yolks/etc are a result of a compound called xanthophyll .

It can be found in feed, and a lot of green leafy plants/vegetables. Supposedly the birds cannot create this compound on their own, but rather it must be consumed/part of their diet in some way

Last edited:
Those are good points to consider, still, it's a grand thing to win Champion of the Show. (I bet Nettie would be proud)
yippiechickie.gif
I hope we'll see Joe competing with him again at larger venues.

Winning best of show is always an accomplishment. Winning best of show in a large show during the time when all the birds are in good feather (Oct-Jan) is an even greater accomplishment. Didn't Chris have best of show or res in a pretty big show? Last year I had best of show with a white Leghorn bantam that had wings like a OEGB....... that doesn't make poor wing carriage OK. I won because of my birds condition. For a win to be historical you would have to know all the details. This late in the season many wins are on condition alone as the other birds are over the hill. Especially large fowl. Not taking anything away from the win, just saying there are wins and there are wins..........

I had several good wins last season with New Hamps, but I'm not getting excited about any of them as the birds weren't all that good in my opinion.

In any case it is great to have a Buckeye win Best of Show...anytime ...under any conditions.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom