CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be contrary....but according to the "genetics guys" yellow legs/yolks/etc are a result of a compound called xanthophyll .

It can be found in feed, and a lot of green leafy plants/vegetables. Supposedly the birds cannot create this compound on their own, but rather it must be consumed/part of their diet in some way
I get curious about things, and I begin to dig. So I took this and ran with Xanthophyll. Seems like pigmentation in poultry does derive from Xanthophyll pigments Zeaxanthin and Lutein. Found this article a neat read and figured I would share since it has levels of the pigments in foods. http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/10/2/128.pdf

But... then I found this and figured this would be WAY more practical for our use.

http://www.poultryscience.org/ps/paperpdfs/01/ps01320.pdf

Quote:

This is a study based on production meat birds. But that is probably a good start for maintaining yellow coloration in most birds. There is even a section toward the end of the study titled Color which confirms results. It states that their T-2 Ration gave the best results. Now off to the internet to procure materials!

I get curious about things, and I begin to dig. So I took this and ran with Xanthophyll. Seems like pigmentation in poultry does derive from Xanthophyll pigments Zeaxanthin and Lutein. Found this article a neat read and figured I would share since it has levels of the pigments in foods. http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/10/2/128.pdf

But... then I found this and figured this would be WAY more practical for our use.

http://www.poultryscience.org/ps/paperpdfs/01/ps01320.pdf

This is a study based on production meat birds. But that is probably a good start for maintaining yellow coloration in most birds. There is even a section toward the end of the study titled Color which confirms results. It states that their T-2 Ration gave the best results. Now off to the internet to procure materials!
I find the more I free range my birds on green material, the better the leg color is on my Rocks (I keep a food plot planted with (depending on season) grasses, wheat, rye, chickory, 3 types of clover, radishes, turnips, etc). They REALLY enjoy them most in the winter when greenery is hard to find

Not to be contrary....but according to the "genetics guys" yellow legs/yolks/etc are a result of a compound called xanthophyll .

It can be found in feed, and a lot of green leafy plants/vegetables. Supposedly the birds cannot create this compound on their own, but rather it must be consumed/part of their diet in some way

Sounds to me like you're saying the exact same thing... only with bigger words.

If you think growing greens are hard to find in Georgia in the winter you should come to northern Michigan - the last of the snow just melted last week :rolleyes:

I do feed some calf manna, especially in the winter. I have been told it is good for yolk color.

Just A Head's Up
We'll be moving on the next semester soon, here at CSU. Our next semester will the English Breeds. We'll ring the opening bell on the English Class sometimes near week's end. Until then, any questions, discussion or displays on any of the American Class is wide open. Thank you to everyone for their participation.

Barred Rocks update.

We've been able to hatch out about 30 chicks this spring. Our hatch rates have not been spectacular. We're working hard to improve that. We've done about everything we know to do. As the temperatures rise with summer approaching, we are gong to continue to hatch longer than we normally would. The chicks we are getting are extremely vigorous and healthy. These ringlets grow so very slowly and feather even more slowly.

We've also shipped out 10 or 12 dozen eggs to folks wanting to get started with this venerable line. It is satisfying to see so many people showing an interest in these birds.

Barred Rocks update.

We've been able to hatch out about 30 chicks this spring. Our hatch rates have not been spectacular. We're working hard to improve that. We've done about everything we know to do. As the temperatures rise with summer approaching, we are gong to continue to hatch longer than we normally would. The chicks we are getting are extremely vigorous and healthy. These ringlets grow so very slowly and feather even more slowly.

We've also shipped out 10 or 12 dozen eggs to folks wanting to get started with this venerable line. It is satisfying to see so many people showing an interest in these birds.
RINGLETS RULE !!!
highfive.gif

An American Class Brooder pen.

Here's a few of Ron Fogle's (Bob Blosi/St. Romain/Ricky Bates) line Rhode Island Reds, some of our ringlet chicks, and a couple of our Wilfred Kittle Rhode Island Red chicks further in the background.

We're an American Class outfit here, I'm afraid, so it sure has been a pleasure having a part in this past semester discussions. Thanks again to everyone who participated and a genuine note of appreciation to all the breeders and enthusiasts of each breed who presented. A big, big thank-you to our APA licensed judges, Bill and Walt for their invaluable insights. Can't tell you how much we appreciate you guys and the time you give to helping others learn.

Welcome to the Spring Semester of Chicken State University.

English Class
Australorp – Black
Cornish – Buff, Dark, White, White Laced Red
Dorking – Colored, Silver-Gray, White, Red
Orpington – Black, Blue, Buff, White
Redcap
Sussex – Light, Red, Speckled

Students are reminded that particaption requires discussion. Presentation of birds by photos are welcomed, but when posting photos please remember to offer critique, history, descriptions of what you see in the birds posted. Breeders and fanciers are encouraged to ask questions and speak of their challenges in breeding these birds. The Standard of Perfection may be quoted.

Let's begin with the Orpington and the Australorp. I think we can do both of these related breeds together.

Last edited:
I personally think it would be better to separate the Orpingtons and the Australorps since they are similar, so that people do not mix up their features because they are different.
Welcome to the Spring Semester of Chicken State University.

English Class
Australorp – Black
Cornish – Buff, Dark, White, White Laced Red
Dorking – Colored, Silver-Gray, White, Red
Orpington – Black, Blue, Buff, White
Redcap
Sussex – Light, Red, Speckled

Students are reminded that particaption requires discussion. Presentation of birds by photos are welcomed, but when posting photos please remember to offer critique, history, descriptions of what you see in the birds posted. Breeders and fanciers are encouraged to ask questions and speak of their challenges in breeding these birds. The Standard of Perfection may be quoted.

Let's begin with the Orpington and the Australorp. I think we can do both of these related breeds together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom