CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for your kind comments. You can't beat reading and re-reading Danne Honour's articles on Buff color breeding. Every time I re-read those articles , I learn more.

When is everybody else going to post some more Orps ?

well Vicki, it's a bit hard to post in your company.... my poor hatchery birds look like a different species next to your beautiful birds.

well Vicki, it's a bit hard to post in your company.... my poor hatchery birds look like a different species next to your beautiful birds.
Every body has to start somewhere ! The more critiqued photos of Orps you see, the more you will learn. Most of those hatchery Buffs can be upgraded in a couple of years, if you know what to look for. I've been helping a friend who has a large farm, and the improvement in her birds has been dramatic.

I was wondering same thing....where the orps ?

I have loved this chicken ever since he arrived..I love them all..but this guy is so special to me.

the cover girl with a little rooster damage..I bought Xlg saddle for her, but it was so tight that it literally held her wings up..its supposed to be snugg, not choking..I had to take it back off..I have now ordered some from UK..should be here soon..

I've had the same problem with saddles Lynne. I guess our kids are bigger than we thought ! Let me know if those English saddles fit .

Here is a rear shot of 3 of my 6 month old 50% English x US pullets . The Brat, in the middle, lost her top tail feather when she offended one of her aunties.

I'm really working on combs as so many Buff Orps have really awful ones. Here's a shot of 2 of my old girls so you can see what I've been up to. Twisted, floppy, too many crowded points, as Walt has said . A challenge to fix those but you can see the improvement here in the next photo.

2 6 month old Monty pullets front left, and center, with the old girls behind. I hope you can see the difference here. A vast improvement on their mother's combs. Their brother was posted earlier.

I can't get over the colour on the front bird in the last picture. I get so used to seeing poor quality birds on this site that it's stunning to see a bird like this. Buff is a surprisingly difficult colour to breed and it's unusual to see such even colour. Kudos.

I agree. Thedragonlady raises the bar on buffs...lol... mine are only eight and nine weeks or post pics of them.

I do hope more folks post pics for discussion because id like to know what my babies should look like.

I am surprised that the Orp people aren't participating more.

Walt

I know ... what up?

Im not afraid..the perfect chicken hasnt been hatched yet althou those little black rosecombs have pretty much reached the apex.....so we all have work to do..I would like to see judges , breeders work together , bring us up to that level ..judges coach and direct us to what we need to do and people quit the my dogs better than your dog thing and work together , a lot of really good things would happen ..thou I dont think thats going to happen people are set in thier ways.....

You can see by these 2 photos , neither of them great why the confusion for someone like myself who is rather new to buffs..the first 2 pictures are 100% SOP hen at show..I took the photo and the bird in the photo used to belong to the judge who was visiting me and was sold to some freinds of mine..she also thou no brit added has a bit of cushion there.. nice tail , I really liked her a lot, she won BB,BV her division but she wasnt really happy about being there so I had a hard time taking a nice picture of her..if she would have shown herself a little better she had a wonderful tail fan.. she did have cushion thou.and just as much understuff as the brit hen , you can see by the pics..she is same length of back as brit hen..really lovley SOP hen..you canot see any more leg under her than you can under mine..

Then I will use photo my back yard so you can see not easy for me sometimes to understand what all the fuss is about..I see the tail is a little soft..but she is actually deeper in chest and wider ...stout comb thou I like the smaller height comb on the above hen..if it wernt for a few too many comb points on above hen would have been really superb because to me the height makes the comb really show off her nice big bean...I am be borrowing the above hen next spring..she is about a quarter mile from here..she is a bit washed out but quite nice over all..when shes awake, she has that sweet buff hen face..

Last edited:
I know ... what up?

Im not afraid..the perfect chicken hasnt been hatched yet althou those little black rosecombs have pretty much reached the apex.....so we all have work to do..I would like to see judges , breeders work together , bring us up to that level ..judges coach and direct us to what we need to do and people quit the my dogs better than your dog thing and work together , a lot of really good things would happen ..thou I dont think thats going to happen people are set in thier ways.....

There is a lot of pictures in the Orp threads, that is why I'm surprised there isn't that much here..The Old English game bantams are probably the breed closest to perfect. They are also the biggest classes in most shows.

w.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom