CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is leaning a bit forward, so it is hard to tell some things. The Australian Standard (country or origin) calls for 4-6 points. He has a good back which most don't have in this cou9ntry. Most of ours look too much like Orps IMO. I know trhat you are familiar with the Aussie Standard, but just put it down for the lurkers. Overall it looks like a good bird.

Walt

I know were waiting for the Sussex people here..Thanks walt..on your advise..I did not get desperate and add orp.. so you see, I listen to you....went to look at probably a hundred hens for him that were show birds Supposedly.. But just wasn't happy with them..this next year thou it might be different..was given 3 really nice pullets, well I hatched them actually pretty good combs so far.certainly not pinch tailed Pope nose tailed things you usually see..or Wrong Color Eyes..nice quality..some decent tail tenting for little girls..I like them a lot. .so we will see..2 of them for sure..just watching the third one for a while.see what happens with her

Last edited:
I would like to officially enroll in this class as I have managed to acquire a few Speckled Sussex by impulse. Since 4 of the eggs actually hatched I want to learn!

I have read through the entire thread so I understand homework cannot be turned in late, clowning around will be removed, and the purpose is to train us to see what you see and critique our own birds. Since mine hatched only last week I will watch from the sidelines, but I will be watching intently.
caf.gif

Thank you for doing this thread, it has been extremely informative so far!
thumbsup.gif

Im along for the ride as well... I have SS about 15 chicks from the adults that i just sold (hatchery birds) and eggs cooking from some SQ/BQ birds that i am hoping to use to improve mine with...

A pen of Coronation Sussex at Villamil Farms, Westville, Oklahoma. We have a juvenile pair from these. This is our first time with any Sussex and looking forward to learning more!

298813_169247056492532_143981691_n.jpg
Sure is a beautiful color. Very soft and yet regal. I like the shape of his head and how everything curves into the next area. Is this the lav based Coronation, or the Bl based Coronation? I would guess the lav (regular) because of the shade.. am I right?

However, since we are trying to learn things here about what makes the breed, I have a few questions

Are the tail feathers supposed to be long like the top two? I am reading the Show Quality Speckled Sussex thread and I think most of them that were considered to have good tails have the top tail feathers curving just over the under feathers (terminology here please).

Also, is the back length good? Wing carriage low or ok?

And.. are the hackle feathers supposed to be completely gray like that - or are they supposed to be white with one line of gray in the center?

How is the comb?

Does the hen just behind him to the rear have speckling on her wings, or is that just a trick of the light? Oh, noticed they aren't your birds, just pictures of the parents of your birds so I guess you can't answer that...

Um.. are these from English Sussex and bred for their standards (which I haven't read any about), instead of ours? Maybe that's the differences I am seeing here...

Good grief, that is more than just a few questions
hide.gif
, but I want to LEARN!

there is a good old book free from cornell free library for kindle or other e reader called the history of the sussex fowl ...dedicated to the apa...it has the oldstandard included..photos that show faults and good birds of that day..the history part is interesting..thinking the birds have evolved a bit since then....

here is the link, you can also read it online..

http://archive.org/details/historyofsussexf00brat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom