CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another hen from the breeder pen. She does not have a comb that is a nice as I'd like, but she produces lovely offspring without the same unevenness she has.

Pgs 21 and 22 of the SOP shows the whys to most of your questions.

Walt

I love the SOP walt..maybe someday in the future they could add a few details to help people , or a seperate book avail for purchase..an example is my nephew sent a british judges handbook..things that are not mentioned like when judging orpingtons, plymouth or wyandotte features such as breast is 2 point deduction according to the severity..plymouth prefered , wyandotte added is really really frowned upon but had been done in moderation he describes how it ruins the type of the bird..they see it first when viewing the head structure is wrong for the type...I think this is why so many people turn to those old time books..the detailed thoughts and notes on where the breeders were trying to go with thier programs give so much needed info that they cannot get today ..its an easter egg hunt to find detailed info.

it would be nice if they could get a collection of seasoned showmen and breeders to write notes on thier experiences things to watch for and correct other than obvious things like too many comb points..lot of people would invest in these books..they do offer some , I have a few including a sebright breeder who raised all of his babys on oats and eggs and that was it..he said many a fine sebright was raised on oats and scrambled eggs

Last edited:
Thanks Karen for mentioning over on the Sussex thread that Sussex were being discussed. I would like to post a few photos of my birds if that's alright. They will be photos I've already taken as my birds are not in good feather at the moment. These photos by no means will be birds in show condition, but hopefully will be passable enough to tell what's going on with the birds. These are a long term project for me, so am working hard on improvements to them, so seeing a second set of eyes would be great.
This is my light sussex male

Nice width from front through to the tail. This is what you want. This is something that is desirable all breeds. It is obvious from the photo that this is a bird of great substance.

Thanks Karen for mentioning over on the Sussex thread that Sussex were being discussed. I would like to post a few photos of my birds if that's alright. They will be photos I've already taken as my birds are not in good feather at the moment. These photos by no means will be birds in show condition, but hopefully will be passable enough to tell what's going on with the birds. These are a long term project for me, so am working hard on improvements to them, so seeing a second set of eyes would be great.
This is my light sussex male

Over all a very nice looking bird, very balanced and pleasing to the eye! I have a question though- his head doesn't look "right" to me- didn't someone mention a few pages back that Sussex should have a "circular" shape to the head? This guys head looks rather triangular to me. It just looks "pinched" toward the beak. Isn't this part of the definition of "crow-headed?"

Over all a very nice looking bird, very balanced and pleasing to the eye! I have a question though- his head doesn't look "right" to me- didn't someone mention a few pages back that Sussex should have a "circular" shape to the head? This guys head looks rather triangular to me. It just looks "pinched" toward the beak. Isn't this part of the definition of "crow-headed?"
He doesn't have the biggest round head, but this is definitely not crow headed. On a crow headed bird, the pinched and almost flat with no substance will continue the whole way back. Hang on a sec, I'll find you a pic. I had a couple last year come out of my birchen marans (talk about a project bird) Hopefully it will be ok to post a reference photo

Well, I couldn't find the birchen photo right off hand, but did find a shadowed photo of a blue copper with a crow head. I particularly like that the shadowing forces you to focus on the top line of the head. There is no rise to it at all. Whenever I get birds like this, off to the layer pen they go.

Well, I couldn't find the birchen photo right off hand, but did find a shadowed photo of a blue copper with a crow head. I particularly like that the shadowing forces you to focus on the top line of the head. There is no rise to it at all. Whenever I get birds like this, off to the layer pen they go.

I like this illustration, and your description.

He doesn't have the biggest round head, but this is definitely not crow headed. On a crow headed bird, the pinched and almost flat with no substance will continue the whole way back. Hang on a sec, I'll find you a pic. I had a couple last year come out of my birchen marans (talk about a project bird) Hopefully it will be ok to post a reference photo

Ah I see THANK YOU for the photo illustration. Now I'm off to look at MY birds- this thread is SO fantastic in how so much of the discussions apply to ALL breeds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom