CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up for discussion: Silver Gray Cockerel.

I know he is no ware near show quality, but I thought he might be good for conversation. I know nothing, but I think his tail set is too high, comb has too many points, and overall stance is too upright. I think his legs are too long, and he
I would also like to know how old this guy is - could he still fill out more in heft?

Ran across a better sideview
19 week pullet

AND a 12 week cockeral

I like the shape of the pullet. I wonder if her head is a bit small? Mine are looking similar this year... nice bodies with better length, but the heads look too small for the bodies. I'm not sure if that will change as they mature. I'm also noticing it more this year because I have some of Kathy's Dels growing up alongside my Dorkings. Kathy's Dels have much wider skulls. I know Delaware type is different from Dorking type. But should the skull width be the same?

Your cockerel looks very dark around the head. I have one like that and the rest are lighter. I'm trying to take more detailed notes about the youngsters this year so I'll know if that ends up being a better colored male or not.

He is less then a year old so i am hoping he fills out more.

My Dorkings have always been very slow to fill out. Here's another quote from Phil Bartz on Dorking growth:

"you find that if you select faster maturing birds you will lose size and usually cull birds that are actually better in many ways but, they just hadn't come into their season yet. DOrkings around my place take at least a year to reach adulthood and continue to grow well into the second year and pushing three sometimes. Body wise that is. Combs usually don't get bigger or the hens longer legged. Just weight and finish always will need the time to complete what nature intended in them. Fast gets you growthy and weaker skeletal structure because usually the feed regimen doesn't match the needs of the birds growth/feed ratio of vitamins, minerals and water. Birds hatched after March in the midwest will never be as big as those hatched from dec-mar. Anything hatched after june1 your just wasting money and time."

Quote: Oh, Oh, I know the answer to that!
ya.gif
Just read it in my APA Yearbook! Article on judging poultry by Jim Adkins on page 312. Judge Adkins says the width of the skull tells you if the bird will have width elsewhere. He says it is the most important part of the bird. Quality of head = quality of bird. Lots more specifics in the article about vital reasons for wider skull and skull implications for overall bird.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Quote: I would like to see an experiment done to verify this with the current feed formulations possible. Feeding has come a long way in many ways. Certainly a better understanding of the nutrient requirements of chickens in general ( commercial birds) but to my way of thinking I would like to see info updated for the "heritage" lines. I know I"m dreaming . . .

Quote: Is this true only in the Midwest? or everywhere? Can anyone say why? Is it because the summer is so hot? If it is because winter comes on so fast after that point, would that be true in a place like where I live where the winter doesn't even get cold until mid January? And that would mean below 50 degrees? Just curious, because if that's the case, I will have to make sure I hatch earlier in the year :)

Is this true only in the Midwest? or everywhere? Can anyone say why? Is it because the summer is so hot? If it is because winter comes on so fast after that point, would that be true in a place like where I live where the winter doesn't even get cold until mid January? And that would mean below 50 degrees? Just curious, because if that's the case, I will have to make sure I hatch earlier in the year :)
I am in the SE, NW Georgia to be exact, and I found the same to be true here. I now hatch in Dec/Jan. Let broodies hatch thru March, but after that I sell off any chicks as they do not get as large as the others. I suspect it's the heat, as the birds eat less in hot weather and therefore do not confuse enough protein to fill out...this is strictly my opinion however, but I DO KNOW that whatever the cause, my early hatched birds are always larger than those hatched late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom