CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wid was an interesting guy. Both he and Oscar Smart left detailed reports of how they created their singular breeds of poultry. Yet they are a study in contrasts of the different ends of the poultry breeding spectrum. Oscar Smart was generally lauded as the greatest poultry biologist of his time. He created the Mendel Fowl using the latest advances in Genetics and his articles on the subject reflect that knowledge and terminology of the "laws of genetics". Unfortunately he died before he could get his excellent breed well established in the public eye.
Wid Card created the White Laced Red Cornish using the art of breeding. Facts gained thru practical experience and intelligently used to make Nature bend to his will. His articles and reports on his project reflect the non technical but equally elegant and useful "laws of breeding".
We talk about the differences between the art of breeding and the use of the laws of genetics in accomplishing the same goals. In these men's works, we see both kinds of breeding programs ably discussed and illustrated.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Wid was an interesting guy. Both he and Oscar Smart left detailed reports of how they created their singular breeds of poultry. Yet they are a study in contrasts of the different ends of the poultry breeding spectrum. Oscar Smart was generally lauded as the greatest poultry biologist of his time. He created the Mendel Fowl using the latest advances in Genetics and his articles on the subject reflect that knowledge and terminology of the "laws of genetics". Unfortunately he died before he could get his excellent breed well established in the public eye.
Wid Card created the White Laced Red Cornish using the art of breeding. Facts gained thru practical experience and intelligently used to make Nature bend to his will. His articles and reports on his project reflect the non technical but equally elegant and useful "laws of breeding".
We talk about the differences between the art of breeding and the use of the laws of genetics in accomplishing the same goals. In these men's works, we see both kinds of breeding programs ably discussed and illustrated.
Best,
Karen

Good post Karen.

w.

Page 294 of the latest Standard. I sponsored the male and had it done by Katherine Plumer. The fellow I go to shows with sponsored the female. (Bob Jones).

Here are some bantam pics. I don't think I have any more LF pics..

The male on top has his wing down for some reason...it is not that way normally.....or he would be in the soup. As we know it is hard to get good pics of chickens.

Walt
love.gif
superb. Truly, these are TEMPTING...

Best,
Karen
Great post and you got the correct answer. WID CARD. Many don't know this but he was also one of the greatest club secretaries in history. He took the Red Club from the bottom of the money pile and in a few years had 4500 members and the interest of his work had 45,000 subscribers to the Rhode Island Red Journal which came out each month from Waverly Iowa.

Karen I am working on some articles on Plymouth Rocks and will send you some of the paragraphs I am working on then maybe you can tell me what genetic category them may be in.

Nice Cornish pictures and I saw the male in the Poultry Press this issue that Clay Mills had. I still wonder who he got his brood stock from. There has to be one guy still left in the USA who can breed good dark Cornish large fowl. bob

Hi Karen is there a link(s) you can share that have the Oscar Smart and Wid Card detailed reports of how they created their singular breeds of poultry.

Quote: I think I can help with Wid. Smart died unexpectedly and I am not sure he had time to write up his work. But others had his Mendel Fowl. I will look around.
Wid did write a 4 page article on The History and Origin of the WLR Cornish. The booklet is only held by Cornell and not circulated but think the same info was published in an old poultry mag. I will look up the biblio and maybe someone has that issue. I think by now it is in the public domain.
-------

Bibliographic information only
The white laced red Cornish fowl,
W. H. Card (Rel. Poultry Jour., 18 (1911). Xo. 2, pp. 236, 265-267, figs. 2).—An account of the origin and characteristics of a comparatively new breed that was not a chance creation but "a variety whose every characteristic was thought out and attained after persistent effort and intense study of the laws of nature regarding feather markings and undercolor that are in harmony with popular market requirements, also the laws of nature regarding egg production and flesh properties."
( I was unable to locate this vol. of RPJ online., try checking libraries. This article has 4 pages. Same number as the cite below. I wonder if it is the same information? ).
---------------------------------
Bibliographic information only
The Origin and History of the White Laced Red Cornish Fowl
Author Wetherell Henry Card
Published 1900
Original from Cornell University
1 of 1 available
Call number : SF481 .Z991R no.13
Digitized Dec 11, 2008
Length 4 pages
OCLC Number:
( HathiTrust Digital Library Has biblio on this, but not readable. Pub. in 1900, this should be
in the public domain and publishable online if anyone can find a copy of it. )
---------------------------
Does anyone have a copy of Reliable Poultry Journal Vol. 18 ; Num. 2 (1911) ??
=======================

Yeah, Bob send it over.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Wow! Finally caught up. I was 13 pages behind... this heat kills me. Maybe tomorrow I can catch up on another thread that I think I'm about 17 pages behind on.

On the cornish being a good referee, does he settle fights that don't involve him or does he only bring an offender to justice when said offender tries to take advantage of him?

ETA: Make that 20 pages on the other thread.

Last edited:
With the Cornish, I would have to think a frontal shot would be as important as the silhouette!. The birds in Walt's pictures seem to have even more of a circular head and I wonder if that is due to it's small comb? It seems that most breeds strive for the circular head, is this generalization true?. My SOP has yet to arrive... Also, should all cornish have pearly eyes? And is tha considered a pearly eye in Walt's close up headshot?

I'd really like to see more actual discussion on this breed. ;)

Last edited:
Please let me express my gratitude to all of those who have contributed to this thread! I found it three days ago and have slowly worked my way through all 46 pages. I have learned an immense amount from the gold mine of information presented here, and I am sure I will learn even more whenever I come back to it for reference. You have inspired me, a beginner owner, to not simply maintain my flock but improve it. I own a red Pyle old English game bantam breeding pair, and I can see now I have a lot of work to do. I am also receiving hatchery quality wyandottes, and I believe it will be a fabulous project to try and improve them for my own personal flock. My eyes have been opened to pinched tails, crow heads, close set legs, and, above all, the importance of type. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom