CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Referencing this bird below
wink.png

LL

Quote: Ok, this is something I notice repeatedly in different breeds. See the angle of the shanks? The more V shaped the bird is ( re: Langshan), the more the shanks are at right angles to the ground. The more breast, and depth of body, (from top of back to bottom of rear, and length of body...the more we see the shanks at this angle to the ground (seen above). What causes this? I know seeing the shanks angled like this above is a good thing in this breed and Sussex..I just don't know why and what causes it. I need to find out so I can continue to select for it in my Sussex. You can see some of this angled shank in my avatar. I need to keep selecting for it.
Thanks,
Karen

Last edited:
from the first time I saw them, I've always said he has the best I have ever seen - beautiful birds aren't they. you can really see the long back and the tail angles on both his hens and roos - I love everything I see on these birds!!
Me too!

Comparing with the British and American Welsummers, those pictures scream DUTCH.....they do show refinement.

How are your egg colors on your Dutch Welsummers coming along?

Michael, I like that cock bird (perhaps a bit flat chested, but otherwise looks very, very nice). His back line is especially good in my opinion, and I think his colors are exceptionally good (judging by this picture), and I can see he has nice mottling on his breast. We decided NOT to go with the German/Danish standard for the breast coloring of the males (light grey, then brown, then a black "droplet" at the tip of each feather), so there is adequate mottling on him (and you will certainly find more that is hidden under the black). I also like some things about the hens (especially their nice back line, which does not slope too much, and their even, warm rusty-red color). From experience, I know that some judges (as evidenced from Pacific NW shows) want more of a tail spread, but I think their tails look fine (a higher tail set might be nice, though). Depending on their age, a fuller breast might be nice, but if they are young pullets, that will probably be taken care of as they "fill in" in the course of the year. I think you have some nice birds.
Thanks so much for the feedback Netland! The welsummers pictured above are about 1 year old so I'm not sure if they'll do any more filling in. One issue I've had is finding white in their tail feathers and in their primaries. I'm working to get rid of it but it's very frustrating to find!

Hello.
A few minutes ago I intoduced myself.
Piet asked me to join this Forum to help you good people, because there are some problems with the interpretation of the Standard/SOP.
I am a Welsumer breeder (for exhibition) for more than 20 years and I am also a judge (I have the competence to assess Welsumers)
So maybe I can solve some problems. But I only know the description of the Welsumers in the Dutch Standard/SOP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom