CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is pretty difficult to tell what the birds look like in most of the pictures posted here. We would need a good profile close up.
Walt,

On some of the original posts, if you click on the pic itself, it will show a much bigger image. You probably already know this, but I didn't want to leave it unsaid, in case others don't know.

Walt,

On some of the original posts, if you click on the pic itself, it will show a much bigger image. You probably already know this, but I didn't want to leave it unsaid, in case others don't know.

Hahaha. Walt know this of course. What the good judge is trying to say in a kind way is that long distance pix, dark shadow pix, photos shot through chicken wire, etc really don't provide an adequate display of the bird. Thanks for the info on behalf of those who didn't know they could "click a pic" to show a larger rendering. Thanks for the reminder.

With over 4,000 posts and a golden feather membership, I figured he did. I just wanted it out there incase someone else was studying the pics (like I am) and didn't know. I first directed the hint "out there" but it seemed disrespectful not to direct my comment directly to Walt. Sorry, if it came across condescending, it was meant to be helpful. My wording left much to be desired.......

I'm sorry, perhaps i should not have bothered to post my photographs -- i've only been keeping chickens at all for a year, and am very new to having campines, and i am realizing that i do not know what are probably the basics about the breed, so it is hard to know what to be looking for, or what questions to ask, or how best to photograph what people are going to want to see. i'm very excited about the breed and hope to work with them in the future, but perhaps i need to take the "Campines 101" class before participating here.

Clarification? Many (most?) sections call for slightly v-shaped barring. Off the top of my head its only the breast, main tail, primaries and secondaries that require straight barring, correct?

I will try to get posed pictures next day or so along with close ups.

As far as weight goes, I agree it's one of biggest issues. My cockerel is only about 4 lbs (guess based on other birds that I have actually weighed. Need to break scale back out) and even though he's only 22 weeks that's still a LOT of weight to put on.

Edit: I actually think the biggest concern facing the Campines other than size is tail angle. Which is important because its one of those visible things that shows the body underneath (see SOP fig 39-40, I know it's a different breed but concept is the same). That's vital for two reasons, the first is a minor reason, and that's a proper body will be closer to right weight, the second and imo important reason is a proper body is more conducive to good egg laying, which is probably something that attracted many of us to breed in the first place.

I said the male body. the wings, back and saddle have slightly V shaped white barring. I did make a mistake though and I should know better than post from memory. the black barring on the body should be 3 times as wide as the width of the white, not 2 times. The breast is twice as wide. In any event if you are serious you should have a Standard in your possession. I see that you do. Typically the tails in Campines are too high.

The three most important things in any chicken are the body, head and tail. The body being the most important.

Walt

I'm sorry, perhaps i should not have bothered to post my photographs -- i've only been keeping chickens at all for a year, and am very new to having campines, and i am realizing that i do not know what are probably the basics about the breed, so it is hard to know what to be looking for, or what questions to ask, or how best to photograph what people are going to want to see. i'm very excited about the breed and hope to work with them in the future, but perhaps i need to take the "Campines 101" class before participating here.

That is not necessary at all, this is to help people like yourself. The photo's should be a profile as close up as you can get it. I use the telephoto feature to get full frame shots. Another trick is to use the video setting, take a vids of them and then stop frame when you get to an individual frame that meets your need.

You also have an advantage most on BYC don't have. I am probably 10-15 minutes from you. If you PM me we can arrange it so that I can come by and look at your birds in real time. In addition Sept 10th I will be judging the Heritage Expo here in Santa Rosa and will be conducting a seminar. This is at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds. It is much easier to learn when you can see what I am talking about.

Walt

I said the male body. the wings, back and saddle have slightly V shaped white barring. I did make a mistake though and I should know better than post from memory. the black barring on the body should be 3 times as wide as the width of the white, not 2 times. The breast is twice as wide. In any event if you are serious you should have a Standard in your possession. I see that you do. Typically the tails in Campines are too high.

The three most important things in any chicken are the  body, head and tail. The body being the most important.

Walt

Sorry if I came off as a harsh correction Mr. Leonard, or disrespectful. Certainly not my intent. And yes I do own a standard, study it a couple hours a day so that one day I can hope to have even close to the amount of knowledge you do. Looking at it again this morning there is a ton of variation in this pattern which I think is going to prove very difficult to ever fully lock in on a bird. Depending on the section you have either straight or v shaped barring an ratios (black:white) of anywhere from 2:1 to 5:1. Quite a challenge for breeders.

Last edited:
That is not necessary at all, this is to help people like yourself. The photo's should be a profile as close up as you can get it. I use the telephoto feature to get full frame shots. Another trick is to use the video setting, take a vids of them and then stop frame when you get to an individual frame that meets your need.

You also have an advantage most on BYC don't have. I am probably 10-15 minutes from you. If you PM me we can arrange it so that I can come by and look at your birds in real time. In addition Sept 10th I will be judging the Heritage Expo here in Santa Rosa and will be conducting a seminar. This is at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds. It is much easier to learn when you can see what I am talking about.

Walt

wonderful! i wouldn't want to waste your time yet, as i've only got the two but will be raising up three new chicks -- perhaps once they're a bit older i can invite you up (i live up on Sonoma Mtn) to have a look at them. and I'm sure i'll be at the Heritage Expo at some point, last year several of my students worked displays at it -- if your seminar works with my teaching schedule, i'll be sure to attend!

thanks!

Sorry if I came off as a harsh correction Mr. Leonard, or disrespectful. Certainly not my intent. And yes I do own a standard, study it a couple hours a day so that one day I can hope to have even close to the amount of knowledge you do. Looking at it again this morning there is a ton of variation in this pattern which I think is going to prove very difficult to ever fully lock in on a bird. Depending on the section you have either straight or v shaped barring an ratios (black:white) of anywhere from 2:1 to 5:1. Quite a challenge for breeders.

I didn't take it that way at all. I'm pretty secure in my old age.....lol

The Standard has 400 pages of info, so it is hard to remember it all. I remember judging with an old time judge and we were back at our room and he said "Walt you need to read the Standard every day". Well, I thought the old guy was getting senile and needed to do that every day. I had just taken my judging test, so everything was still fresh in my mind so I didn't think that was necessary. Well...I was wrong. An individual with a few breeds doesn't have to read it every day, but if you want to be a judge some day it is very necessary to do this as you forget over time. There is a ton of info to remember. I have given several judging tests (APA/ABA) the last few years and the failure rate on these tests is quite high. Usually they do OK in the showroom and then fail the written test. Some people just don't test well, but what I am seeing is people not prepared to take a judges test. They overestimate their grasp of the Standard.

Walt

Walt
If Walt offers to come and help you assess your birds, you should jump on it! Just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom