CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
wonderful! i wouldn't want to waste your time yet, as i've only got the two but will be raising up three new chicks -- perhaps once they're a bit older i can invite you up (i live up on Sonoma Mtn) to have a look at them. and I'm sure i'll be at the Heritage Expo at some point, last year several of my students worked displays at it -- if your seminar works with my teaching schedule, i'll be sure to attend!

thanks!

OK. It is much easier to learn this in person. I can make you into a Campine judge in less than an hour. When they are older you may want to see which ones you won't be needing. In any event we can grade them and teach you at the same time. Since I retired from your university it would be the collegial thing for me to do. You might want to swing by the Sonoma County Fair this week. The open birds are in there tomorrow and the judging on Weds. I will be in the poultry barn most of Weds watching the judging. I don't think there are any Campines entered, but I don't know.

Walt

To get a mentor like Walt to help you on line or in person is Priceless. He is one of top ten old time Chicken Judges and most of all you don't see this in many JUDGES a MASTER BREEDER.

So enjoy his visit when it comes. The breed we are discussing is down in Popularity in the H chicken Department. Much like these old Mottle Javas I got my hands on. Got to get the book out read it the best we can and move forward. Its a slow process sometime taking three to five years but that's the reward of a PRESERVATIONIST. I would rather see you do well to improve this grand old breed find others who have them maybe get some more eggs or chicks from someone down the road and be a super star in this variety. Then share your stock, eggs ect with newbies down the road as you improve.

Glad you posted and wonderful responses. Wish I had a mentor to help me close buy with these Javas. I got one in Ohio and by email and phone we are doing just fine.

Thought I would put my two cent in. bob

OK. It is much easier to learn this in person. I can make you into a Campine judge in less than an hour. When they are older you may want to see which ones you won't be needing. In any event we can grade them and teach you at the same time. Since I retired from your university it would be the collegial thing for me to do. You might want to swing by the Sonoma County Fair this week. The open birds are in there tomorrow and the judging on Weds. I will be in the poultry barn most of Weds watching the judging. I don't think there are any Campines entered, but I don't know.

Walt
ep.gif
WHY can't I live in California??!?
he.gif
barnie.gif

I don't suppose you are planning to travel to the southeast anytime soon, Walt? How about the Ohio Nationals? Maybe you two could video your lesson.......
fl.gif

tongue.png

To get a mentor like Walt to help you on line or in person is Priceless. He is one of top ten old time Chicken Judges and most of all you don't see this in many JUDGES a MASTER BREEDER.

Thought I would put my two cent in. bob
For a moment there I thought Bob called Walt old.......but I see he said "old time".....

Here is a Golden Campine pullet that I hatched from eggs I got from BYCer debs_flock. It was the only egg to hatch and a friend took her home for her layer flock.
I think she was turning into a good prospect but I had nothing to compare her to except the SOP picture. Here are the last three pictures I took of her, she was 16 weeks old. She had large, dark eyes.
Her barring was just starting so show promise. Her tail feathers were wide and showed good black to gold ratio. I thought her tail was a bit low but she was still young and was constantly loosing feathers to randy cockerels. The last picture is to show the width of her tail. I thought it was of good width for her age.

Last edited:
G'day,

I'm from Australia and I also breed and show exhibit Campines. I'm just reading this interesting concept.

Regards,

Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom