CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
yepper..its polenta . they always serve blocks of it with spaggy sauce on it..i never liked it thou..or it doesnt like me..

The bird can be under or over 20percent of the Standard weight. Two birds the same, the bigger bird is going to win in the large fowl classes. They don't weigh birds in shows. I don't think you have to worry about making these too big.

Walt

Last edited:
The bird can be under or over 20percent of the Standard weight. Two birds the same, the bigger bird is going to win in the large fowl classes. They don't weigh birds in shows. I don't think you have to worry about making these too big.

Walt

No.........but I can try..............
celebrate.gif

I have been collecting feathers for a "before" set. I have so far only picked up loose feathers and not plucked any. I found one tonight that looks like a primary and almost seems to have spangles!

How much per bird? What about pullets? Would they benefit from it as well?

I know you are talking about improving condition with proper nutrition, and I'm all for that, but will beefing up the boys help to increase the size in your lines? Okay, I'm not dense, I know that fat parents don't make for fat offspring, but will healthier, stronger, fitter, parent stock pass on stronger frames, feathers, and organs to the next generation. - maybe affecting the size? YES

I don't think I am getting my thoughts across well tonight. What I am wondering is this, If you have one pen that is getting supplemented and one pen (same lines) that are not, will F5 be larger in the first pen, even if they are not supplemented starting at four months - or will they be the same size as the F5 in the second pen? Will the F5s in the second pen be as big as the ones in the first pen if they are then supplemented starting at 4 months? NO
OK, I managed to cut a chunk out of my index finger last night, so bear with my typing.I have seen a vast difference in size in my line when chicks are not raised properly. I feed medicated chick starter from hatch until 4 months old with added grains and Calf Manna. My chicks are wormed at 2,4,6 ,8,10 , 12 weeks, first with Wazine, and then alternating with Safeguard and Valbazan. They are dusted for parasites also with Permethrin.All my birds have access to good grass every day, and get table scraps. This of course does not please my pack of already overweight dogs, but the birds need the animal protein.

The end result is that my Buff Orp girls lay at 5 months old, at which time they weigh about 7+ lbs.They continue to be wormed as adults, as needed, shown by fecal checks.My cull cockerels dress out at 5 1/2 -6 lbs at 5 months.At maturity my hens are weighing 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 lbs.These hens lay extremely well also through cold and heat.They are not fat, but have a large meaty frame.

If you feed medicated chick starter there is never a need to use a heavy amprolium dose which robs the growing birds of B vitamins. You manage the parasites, feed well, and see the difference. Management is key to growing and conditioning good birds. There are no shortcuts, and you must adhere to a schedule from time of hatch. Playing "Catch up" doesn't work.

Okay, I hear ya on that, and incorporating your tips into my management plan. I see how giving every bird the optimum care allows the ones that are genetically capable of a larger frame a chance to show that ability and therefore highlight their potential better than one with the same ability who does not get a chance to reach full size. That makes sense. It is one more way to be sure that you are selecting the right birds for the next generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom