CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a 2013 spring pullet that is about 5 1/2 months old. She is not laying yet, but should soon. I would not show this pullet as she has too many faults in my eye, but she may make a good breeder if she lays well and has good egg color. She still has a lot of filling out to do.

It is hard to tell from pics the quality of a bird, but here is what I see in person.I am a bit of a perfectionist and really critical about my birds.

She is of good size, grew very well as a chick and carries a good amount flesh/meat. I can fit over 4 fingers ( I don't have huge hands though) between the end of the breast bone and her pelvic bones. Her pelvic bones are already spreading as I can fit nearly 3 fingers and she is not yet laying. Her back is pretty wide and tail well spread, though I would like both even a little wider. Leg color was excellent as a youngster on green grass, so I am not worried that her leg color has faded since being in a dry pen with regular feed.

I don't like that she doesn't have as clean of sweep/ curve from back to tail. Some of it could be because she is young and the problem appears worse because a randy cockerel has damaged a few of her back feathers already.

The color and pattern is where I would pick her apart the most. She has some shafting and peppering. Her lacing could be a lot cleaner and more uniform. There is too much red on the neck and head. Some of my oldest hens had just a small amount red on the neck, but hers is much worse. I will be working hard to correct these issues in the future.

She doesn't have any MAJOR faults so, I will have to wait longer and see as she matures. Overall mostly due to the color/pattern faults, she is still on the verge of being culled unless she lays well with good egg color. If she is productive, I will see if I can correct the color/pattern issues with breeding her to the right rooster.

I still have a lot of younger pullets and a few cockerels that made it through some strict culling and hopefully I will get a few better prospects to choose from. If not, I will learn from my mistakes and try to make better choices next breeding season.

Trisha

Here is another more candid picture of her.

Trish for us newbies could you please tell us how many birds you started with and what lines there from. Also have you ever shown your barnies??

Trish for us newbies could you please tell us how many birds you started with and what lines there from. Also have you ever shown your barnies??

I have a blend of C. Ledford, Johan and a little Kelly Cratty in my pure barnevelders. They are a mix of strains/ lines because I wanted to add traits. I have not shown my birds. Maybe I will show someday, but I don't want to get into that issue. I have breed barnies for only 5 years, so I still have a lot to learn. I usually hatch out about 100-200 chicks per year to select breeders from. I keep around 30 adults ( pures, blues and projects) and barnevelders are the only breed I have.

Trisha

when measuring the pelvic bone spread - can you give me some land marks as to where you are measuring?

I agree with you about the sweep of the hens' back - its hard to assess sometimes, because the are always moving and the tail moves based on their activity - I like to think they are shaped a little like the Nike swoosh though. 50 degrees over horizontal desired.

when measuring the pelvic bone spread - can you give me some land marks as to where you are measuring?

I agree with you about the sweep of the hens' back - its hard to assess sometimes, because the are always moving and the tail moves based on their activity - I like to think they are shaped a little like the Nike swoosh though.  50 degrees over horizontal desired.

I just started trying to assess the pelvic spread, so don't rely on my advice. I read " The Call of the Hen" and watched a series of videos on line about breeding heritage chickens where the measured pelvic area of hens. I think I will need a few more years before I can give anyone advice on how to do it properly and apply the info in regards to egg production.

The back sweep/ curve varies greatly. Some are so extreme and the German type looks very much like a Nike swoosh. It is interesting to look at the old illustrations of barnevelders from around the 1920 and 1930's.

Trisha

Edited to add: Here is an interesting link to the history of the Barnevelder.

http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/13E01A03.pdf

And here is a video from the Barnevelder club.

http://www.zeldzamerassen.nl/De Barnevelder/Film

Last edited:
Here is a 2013 spring pullet that is about 5 1/2 months old. She is not laying yet, but should soon. I would not show this pullet as she has too many faults in my eye, but she may make a good breeder if she lays well and has good egg color. She still has a lot of filling out to do.

It is hard to tell from pics the quality of a bird, but here is what I see in person.I am a bit of a perfectionist and really critical about my birds.

She is of good size, grew very well as a chick and carries a good amount flesh/meat. I can fit over 4 fingers ( I don't have huge hands though) between the end of the breast bone and her pelvic bones. Her pelvic bones are already spreading as I can fit nearly 3 fingers and she is not yet laying. Her back is pretty wide and tail well spread, though I would like both even a little wider. Leg color was excellent as a youngster on green grass, so I am not worried that her leg color has faded since being in a dry pen with regular feed.

She doesn't have any MAJOR faults so, I will have to wait longer and see as she matures. Overall mostly due to the color/pattern faults, she is still on the verge of being culled unless she lays well with good egg color.

My goodness, if you decide she is a cull, give me a call won't you?

I just started trying to assess the pelvic spread, so don't rely on my advice. I read " The Call of the Hen" and watched a series of videos on line about breeding heritage chickens where the measured pelvic area of hens. I think I will need a few more years before I can give anyone advice on how to do it properly and apply the info in regards to egg production.

The back sweep/ curve varies greatly. Some are so extreme and the German type looks very much like a Nike swoosh. It is interesting to look at the old illustrations of barnevelders from around the 1920 and 1930's.

Trisha

Edited to add: Here is an interesting link to the history of the Barnevelder.

http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/13E01A03.pdf

And here is a video from the Barnevelder club.

http://www.zeldzamerassen.nl/De Barnevelder/Film
Could you post a link to the series you watched online?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom