CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: If you breed white to salmon, you will get salmons that carry the white gene. White in Favs is recessive. You would then need to breed the offspring together to get some whites. Or a son of that mating back to the mother, the resulting offspring of that breeding would be 50% white, 50% salmon split for white. Recessive whites bred from salmons often carry some salmon leakage, which you would have to breed for a few generations to clear up.
Also, recessive whites tend to get brassy if they are out in the sun. (turn yellow)

When you say smutty, are you speaking of the beard or her overall color?

Yes beard/muff This particular hen also has the type that I like along with nice toe separation as to why I am keeping her in hopes to get really nice heavy birds for my future flock along with darker bearded boys

Related to the boys above and how much they change. At what point can you be sure of your final girl colour?
I have a couple that are fairly light. By 6 months is that it or could it change after their first moult?

Also how much of a problem when showing is that paler colour?

Related to the boys above and how much they change. At what point can you be sure of your final girl colour?
I have a couple that are fairly light. By 6 months is that it or could it change after their first moult?

Also how much of a problem when showing is that paler colour?

Girls pretty much are what they are from the beginning. Depends on the standard where you are and what the judges there like to see. I would talk to other breeders in your country for the best answer on that. :)

Quote: If you breed white to salmon, you will get salmons that carry the white gene. White in Favs is recessive. You would then need to breed the offspring together to get some whites. Or a son of that mating back to the mother, the resulting offspring of that breeding would be 50% white, 50% salmon split for white. Recessive whites bred from salmons often carry some salmon leakage, which you would have to breed for a few generations to clear up.
Also, recessive whites tend to get brassy if they are out in the sun. (turn yellow)

I can attest to that salmon leakage. I have a bantam salmon cock that had produced a few white offspring, but both males and females - at least from this mating - have very light salmon leakage over their shoulders and backs. Almost as if someone had some pale dusty rose paint on the hands, and spread them over the back of the birds.

Jeanine - are you saying I can breed the white daughter back to the white-carrying father to increase the strength of the white gene? I assume I can't just keep producing white from just this pairing. I would have to locate another white strain to add into the line, no? Luckily, the type seems to be ok at this point, at just over four months.

I can attest to that salmon leakage. I have a bantam salmon cock that had produced a few white offspring, but both males and females - at least from this mating - have very light salmon leakage over their shoulders and backs. Almost as if someone had some pale dusty rose paint on the hands, and spread them over the back of the birds.

Jeanine - are you saying I can breed the white daughter back to the white-carrying father to increase the strength of the white gene? I assume I can't just keep producing white from just this pairing. I would have to locate another white strain to add into the line, no? Luckily, the type seems to be ok at this point, at just over four months.

Yeah, what I would do, if you know what hens the whites are coming from too, is to put pullets with the cock, and put the hen(s) with a white cockerel, and go from there... :)

Yeah, what I would do, if you know what hens the whites are coming from too, is to put pullets with the cock, and put the hen(s) with a white cockerel, and go from there... :)

Unfortunately, I lost the hen soon after they all hatched. I suppose I could try the cockerels with another hen.

Probably not many people working on light roosters though unless they are working on the hen side of coloring though right? My white hen will have good eggs for 3 years or so, and that means I should probably get an incubator rather than let things happen naturally. I really thought someone with white faverolles would show up on here by now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom