CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started with 8 from a breeder that Debi (Heaven Sent) had hatched for her friend. I culled heavily in the boys in that group and kept the best WCB roo and the Splash, Black and two Silver Laced hens. I've sold off all the offspring in the last two years except a Splash and a Gold Laced, along with one of the Silver Laced pullets. I haven't hatched anything that could replace the WCB roo so I've sold everything else. I have four young cockerels right now. Two that I'm interested in, one is a Splash and the other a black that hasn't shown any leakage yet so I'm wondering if I've got a nice black. Keeping one roo keeps me from having to add another pen!

I have a question about crests. Can a crest be too big? I'm finding that the crests that are a little smaller have a nicer, neater crest while the bigger crests seem to just get messy. Any input on that from anyone?

Crests can be taped up to keep them out of their faces. A larger crest is preferred in showing normally.

I haven't had a problem with the shape of the larger crests. I am looking to improve the fullness and proper color (less color in the WC varieties) in the crests of my bantam polish.

LOL. There is always something that needs to be better.

Noseychickens would you mind putting up some more pictures of yours (if you got some before the molt started) and point out the good and bad. I would put mine up but all my silver laced are molting pretty good, which just leaves my blue laced ( not an SOP color).

Noseychickens would you mind putting up some more pictures of yours (if you got some before the molt started) and point out the good and bad. I would put mine up but all my silver laced are molting pretty good, which just leaves my blue laced ( not an SOP color).

please put your photos on and explain type, I will try and ignore blue laced color

How does this thread work? Is it just discussion? I put pics of our babies on almost a week ago. I thought judges were going to critique birds. Maybe we are waiting on more birds. Just wondering....

How does this thread work? Is it just discussion? I put pics of our babies on almost a week ago. I thought judges were going to critique birds. Maybe we are waiting on more birds. Just wondering....
Goal of thread - put up photos of your birds and YOU discuss what you think of them (type, coloring, size, etc). Others are welcome to critique them as well. Ask questions, discuss whatever comes up about the birds that are being reviewed as a learning experience about the breed. Sometimes some of the judges that are on BYC will come by and give you their opinions - other times they don't. Sometimes it's hit or miss on a judge getting onto the thread. Sometimes the judges have given their opinions and had people get offended so that may also be a reason that a judge has not made any comments on a bird.

When few people have the breed being discussed, there is usually not much going on with the thread.

Goal of thread - put up photos of your birds and YOU discuss what you think of them (type, coloring, size, etc). Others are welcome to critique them as well. Ask questions, discuss whatever comes up about the birds that are being reviewed as a learning experience about the breed. Sometimes some of the judges that are on BYC will come by and give you their opinions - other times they don't. Sometimes it's hit or miss on a judge getting onto the thread. Sometimes the judges have given their opinions and had people get offended so that may also be a reason that a judge has not made any comments on a bird.

When few people have the breed being discussed, there is usually not much going on with the thread.

That is essentially correct. This is an educational thread. We expect all those who post photos to express their challenges in breeding to the Standard for the breed being discussed. Expert breeders and judges often stop by. We actually have had very few offended parties, which is a good thing. This thread is for learning.

Extraneous side chit chat comments get deleted during thread cleanup.

Last edited:
The first Polish I ever had was a "Buff" laced Polish that a friend gave me when I lost my whole flock to a predator. Her color looked just like that one and crazy bed head as a crest but I fell in love with the breed because of her.

OK, so for critique because I really want to learn about this breed and I hope others do the same. I know we saw a very good example first, so we know what to strive for but I think critique of a not perfect bird and maybe suggestions on how to fix the shortcomings would help. Here's some of my motley crew!

Very poorly laced cockerel. Very young but obviously wasn't going to pull off lacing. If someone who wasn't going to show but wanted to work on their own backyard breed, would there be any sense in using this boy? If so, what would improve his offspring?

A lot of my black boys have this, what I call leakage? His crest was pecked but was black with only a few feathers, which tells me who is mom is. She's my black hen with about 2-3white feathers. What is the coloring called, where does it come from and can it ever be helpful in breeding for another color?

This is his mom. What would I do to breed those last white feathers out and can you?

This one has a reverse colored crest, black with gold lacing where the body is gold w/black lacing? How did that happen and could it be bred out? She was balancing on a limb so her tails was fanned out, not her normal carriage.

This is a boy that a friend hatched from my eggs. I have one like this now. Again, leakage? I've called these birds splash but are they just white birds with black and on the boys, gold leakage?

I really liked this girls body but her crest was never neat and like a ball, like her mother (the one in my original post, who passed yesterday). She was pretty young here too.

My biggest disappointment and something I won't breed is squirrel tail! Hate, hate, hate this look! Is it a DQ or is it just my personal DQ?

So, all my laced girls have reverse lacing on their crest. Is this transition to getting the good lacing?

OK, so NoseyChickens showed you the good, I showed you the bad and the ugly!
lau.gif
All education greatly appreciated! I don't know if all the breed topics started off slow but I don't want this opportunity to go by without getting some answers for my hours in my chicken chair trying to figure it all out! Thank you!

I wouldn't know where to begin to comment on these birds.
I will answer a question you asked: squirrel tails are a DQ but the bird you pictured with the question doesn't have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom