CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then to the tail angle: I may be mistaken, but I have always measured it from the BACKLINE, and not from the true horizontal. If that is correct, the Polish cockbird comes pretty close to having a squirrel tail. Walt, could you please clarify how we should measure the tail angle? Vern Sorensen was the one who told me that the angle should be measured from the backline, and I had an enormous amount of respect for him.

This is also what I was taught, and if it is not true I will need to adjust my tail views.... those silver lace I sent off might have been more ideal then :)

Here is another question regarding body type of the Polish: The SOP states that the back should be "straight, broadest at shoulders, tapering with concave sweep near base of tail." I have always interpreted "straight" to mean "horizontal." The SOP illustrations of the Polish all show a pretty strong slope on the back. Which is the correct interpretation--the one demonstrated in the illustrations or the one I have (perhaps mistakenly) taken from the SOP text? I hope Walt or any expert Polish breeder would weigh in on this issue, as I think this is a cardinal point as concerns type.
Bjorn

I was "taught" (though questions to other breeders, judges, etc- all that can vary a little, but have been in a similar range) that the polish should an angle to their backline when they pose (this seems to vary on degree though), and that the ones with a more flat across topline are often refered to as having more of a houdan type of backline by breeders. But so much is difference in interpretation between how someone views what the standard says- on both the breeders and the judges sides.
" Fairly long, straight ,broad at shoulders, tapering & sloping to tail." is what is on the PBC website...... this is referring to the bantam standard though.

But this is what I look for in my keepers on their top & side lines

Here is another question regarding body type of the Polish: The SOP states that the back should be "straight, broadest at shoulders, tapering with concave sweep near base of tail." I have always interpreted "straight" to mean "horizontal." The SOP illustrations of the Polish all show a pretty strong slope on the back. Which is the correct interpretation--the one demonstrated in the illustrations or the one I have (perhaps mistakenly) taken from the SOP text? I hope Walt or any expert Polish breeder would weigh in on this issue, as I think this is a cardinal point as concerns type.
Bjorn
"Straight" has little to do with vertical or horizontal or anything in between. ....it just means it should be straight....it could be straight up as an example.

For those that have asked.........The angle of the tail is determine by the back............wherever the tail meets the back. You would use the back line to determine the tail angle.

Walt

If we use the back line to determine the tail angle.... Is this the correct way to measure angle? In this case, this bird has a squirrel tail. Right?

Last edited:
"Straight" has little to do with vertical or horizontal or anything in between. ....it just means it should be straight....it could be straight up as an example.

For those that have asked.........The angle of the tail is determine by the back............wherever the tail meets the back. You would use the back line to determine the tail angle.

Walt

Thanks, Walt. This discussion has been extremely instructive, and I would hope that it continues as long as people keep submitting questions and comments about the Polish. The SOP sometimes seems to me to be a bit unclear, and feedback from expert breeders and judges is very helpful.

Quote:

Walt, the APA should consider re-doing Figure 34 in the SOP, using a bird with a slope to the back to illustrate squirrel tail instead of a bird with a relatively horizontal back. The current illustration looks like the angle is relative to a horizontal line, not the back line. A slope-backed bird like JustStruttin illustrated would make it clear what the base line reference for the angle should be. It would help us newbies a lot.

Sarah

Question: "Wings, carried without drooping" I interpret that to mean that the bottom of the wing should be horizontal. Is that the correct interpretation?

It seems to me that the birds that have more of a slope to their backs also have wings that droop. I have been breeding towards a horizontal wing and flatter topline. However now I read that a flat top line is referred to as having a Houdan type. So, perhaps I need to cull for a horizontal wing and a well sloped back. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Walt, the APA should consider re-doing Figure 34 in the SOP, using a bird with a slope to the back to illustrate squirrel tail instead of a bird with a relatively horizontal back. The current illustration looks like the angle is relative to a horizontal line, not the back line. A slope-backed bird like JustStruttin illustrated would make it clear what the base line reference for the angle should be. It would help us newbies a lot.

Sarah

I agree. I always thought that the line was a horizontal one to measure from and that's what others have told me so it is a common misconception.

Having birds with sloped backs, I still select for wings that are held up good and high. In fact, if I can tell that my birds have wings at all, they get moved to the "to go" list.

Last edited:

Continuing with the APA Continental class…….CSU presents -

The Houdan

The purpose of the thread is an adult, educational and informational expose' on the breed. Discussion should focus on the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection. This is not a chat thread and all chit-chat gets deleted. We are often fortunate to have top judges, top breeders and educators stop by. Please feel free to post photos of your birds, but remember to add critique and discuss the challenges you face in breeding. Sharing the passion of this fancy is always encouraged.

Continuing with the APA Continental class…….CSU presents -

The Houdan

The purpose of the thread is an adult, educational and informational expose' on the breed. Discussion should focus on the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection. This is not a chat thread and all chit-chat gets deleted. We are often fortunate to have top judges, top breeders and educators stop by. Please feel free to post photos of your birds, but remember to add critique and discuss the challenges you face in breeding. Sharing the passion of this fancy is always encouraged.

OK......Where is everybody???!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom