CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a week, but just saw you guys are doing Houdans... I want to join in, but my Houdans are very young - only 16 weeks.. Lost my older ones in the fire. From the same line though.

He's preening here, excuse the poses.. .He is my favourite looking one. Mottling is still not all in yet.

Here is one of my originals. She was 6 months in this photo.

a lot of mine right now have too much white. It does seem to get better their first year.

a couple more of the girls..

They look good for six months. They change as they get older, your mottled Houdans may not have so much white once they grow up. I really like this hen!!
I think it looks like someone threw a shower scrubie in with a brick and a powder puff and hit blend. However this bird looks to me to gave nice wing carriage, and a decent tail angle. Very pretty feathering too. I think I see a decent beak in the fluff too.

They look good for six months. They change as they get older, your mottled Houdans may not have so much white once they grow up.
I really like this hen!!
Yes I liked her as well. It's very unfortunate that she was in the barn when I lost my entire flock. But I have her sisters and brothers. That will have to do. She looked about the same at their age as well.

I can't seem to find any young pictures of her.. but here is another when she was about 5 months.

Fingers crossed the girls I have now will show better mottling...

You can use frontline, but consuming eggs from the hens gets a bit hazy from a legality standpoint. I would feel safe eating them myself but any unlabeled use of a product on a laying hen means lawfully you cannot sell the eggs for consumption for 30 days which is why I do not use frontline.

Just for clarity, Pesticides (insecticides) including Permethrin, Carbaryl (Sevin) and Fipronil (Frontline) are regulated by the EPA and as such none are required to test for withdrawal times (doesn't mean there is no concern, just not regulated). Paraciticides such as Ivermectin are regulated by the FDA and are considered medication and have regulations regarding withdrawal in those animals for which the drug has been approved.

The Lakenvelder

As the unit begins, let us review, briefly, the classroom rules. For those who may be new to this CSU thread, this isn't an online show. It is intended to be a platform for fanciers of each breed presented to show, discuss and help each other in better understanding the challenges associated with breeding the Lakenvelder to the SOP.

Note: At the end of each unit, the thread is expunged of all small talk, classroom chatter and the like. It is highly appreciated when all students strive to keep the session on track. Kindly use private messaging for side bar conversations so as not to disrupt the class. Thank you and thanks in advance for all who contribute so richly to these class presentations.

I was asked to stop by with a photo. Unfortunately I don't have many pictures that show a clear outline/stance and currently every bird I have is nearly featherless.

This is a pullet in a show cage, if I recall correctly she was around six months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom