CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I'll state that I don't show (which is why they are dirty in these pictures, we had been having alot of rain when I took these pictures before they started to molt to badly) and after coming across two hens, it took me a few years to find anyone to get some more from. This past spring was my first year actually breeding these. These are all going through their first adult molt, so I am waiting to see how they color out. I tied them so I could try to get some decent pictures of them, as they are on the flighty side. So they are holding their tails a little higher than normal.

I would like all of the hens to be blacker in the tail and head areas. Something I am working on.

Hen 1 got lose so this is her only picture, but she has the same issues as the others

Would like a whiter earlobe and the comb to follow the head line better.

Doesn't have a pinched tail.

You can see the upper part of the flight here is black and the bottoms are white. All above photos of hen 2.

Has better earlobe color than the first, but still want whiter color there and the comb to follow the head better.

In this picture you can see she has one uneven spike in the middle of her comb, this is hen 3.

Hen 4 was missing alot of feathers at this picture time, will have to see how she looks now.

Hoping after his molt that he will be slightly blacker near his tail base and saddle area.

Would like his comb to follow his head better.

Has a nice solid white ear lobe

All are close to their listed weight and have a decent bottom line

So Deb's flock and to all the judges or other lakenvelder breeders, where else do these birds need worked on. All information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much Deb's Flock for posting and helping out with this breed.
hugs.gif
I know there's not too many of us with them.

Last edited:
I tied them so I could try to get some decent pictures of them, as they are on the flighty side. So they are holding their tails a little higher than normal.

I would like all of the hens to be blacker in the tail and head areas. Something I am working on.

Hen 1 got lose so this is her only picture, but she has the same issues as the others

All are close to their listed weight and have a decent bottom line

So Deb's flock and to all the judges or other lakenvelder breeders, where else do these birds need worked on. All information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much Deb's Flock for posting and helping out with this breed.
hugs.gif
I know there's not too many of us with them.
I think you did a really good job of photos in a flighty breed--it is so hard to get good ones!

I really don't know much about the breed. You had referred to the tails being higher than usual, although I see one that seems well below 45 degrees. What is the normal tail angle for these guys? You also referred to a decent bottom line. It looks like it is slightly rounded to the keel is not following the line of the back. Could you explain further what the ideal is for this breed? And for the comb--they do seem to be quite divergent from the neck--are they supposed to be similar (but smaller) to a Leghorn in following the neck without touching, or somewhere in between what you have and the Leghorn?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

I think you did a really good job of photos in a flighty breed--it is so hard to get good ones!

I really don't know much about the breed. You had referred to the tails being higher than usual, although I see one that seems well below 45 degrees. What is the normal tail angle for these guys? You also referred to a decent bottom line. It looks like it is slightly rounded to the keel is not following the line of the back. Could you explain further what the ideal is for this breed? And for the comb--they do seem to be quite divergent from the neck--are they supposed to be similar (but smaller) to a Leghorn in following the neck without touching, or somewhere in between what you have and the Leghorn?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
The one hen who's tail looks lower is the one that got lose, she was turning when I snapped the picture. She finished the turn and ran into the bushes, which made it easy for me to catch her and put her back in her pen before she really flew the coop. The normal angle for males is 45 and females are 40. What I mean by a decent bottom line is that it is a nice and smooth curved line without being indented inwards anywhere. The breast should be full and well rounded. The combs should slightly follow the head line not stick up as much as mine do.

Hope this helps you some.

Would be nice to see more. But I'm also rubbing my greedy little paws together in anticipation of La Flèche. I want to find out who has them. Also, I need a good reason to see what others think of what I purchased in Columbus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom