CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow I am seeing some really nice birds here!
ep.gif

Last edited:
It's awesome to see this reaction to the French breeds. The French breeds are among the most threatened of the breeds in the US, and yet their meat quality is so good as to put them at the very top of the list.

It's awesome to see this reaction to the French breeds. The French breeds are among the most threatened of the breeds in the US, and yet their meat quality is so good as to put them at the very top of the list.
I would love to see pictures of a processed La Fleche.

Took pictures of one trio. Not the greatest, but with the flightiness I think these are the best I'm getting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The male is much better with space, he wasn't standing quite right in a small cage. But he still looks good.

The first pullet, in my opinion, is the best of all the birds I got.

The second pullet I really wanted to cull out due to body. But I face the reality that I really will be much happier with more to select from. And for all I know she might end up spitting out of the best birds this year.

Took pictures of one trio.  Not the greatest, but with the flightiness I think these are the best I'm getting.  edited for brevity
On the first pullet it looks like her beak is just slightly misaligned, like maybe the top half goes a little to her left. Is that just the pics, optical illusion from color, there but not an issue...?

Took pictures of one trio. Not the greatest, but with the flightiness I think these are the best I'm getting.

The male is much better with space, he wasn't standing quite right in a small cage. But he still looks good.

The first pullet, in my opinion, is the best of all the birds I got.

The second pullet I really wanted to cull out due to body. But I face the reality that I really will be much happier with more to select from. And for all I know she might end up spitting out of the best birds this year.
Since this is a learning thread, can you give some things you like and don't like about your birds, and things you would like to improve? A good chance to compare the two hens especially. The opinion of an experienced breeder is very welcome.

Since this is a learning thread, can you give some things you like and don't like about your birds, and things you would like to improve? A good chance to compare the two hens especially. The opinion of an experienced breeder is very welcome.
Well I am not at all experienced with La Flèche yet. However there are some things I want to keep in mind.

#1 is size. Currently all of the stock seems underweight. Which is to be expected with lack of interest in recent history.

#2 is Breast shape, size and carriage. Most of the birds weight will be from this part of the body. The Standard seems to emphasize two major portions, the breast and the back. Both of which will correlate to each other. A thin back is not going to get you a thick breast. You need a thick body. The breast should extend well on the bird, I believe the standard uses the terms Full, Prominent. This will assist in #1 and adds a lot to the score of the bird overall.

#3 is the comb, which accounts for 10 points. Some may think, well, comb is not a big deal. A lot of judges may even think La Flèche comb is not a big deal. But to me it is, it sets up the rest of the head. A good comb is going to make the head look good. A good comb is going to make earlobes and wattle look good. A good comb is basically what will draw you to the head of the bird.

As far as the parts I like. Most of them seem to have good foundation shape. Good breasts, OK width. Combs can use some improvements on all, but I was not able to pick and choose the best combs from the person I bought them from. Their carriage is, for the most part, excellent. Most of the birds I got from him look good, minus the weight. In a few years I will likely have some great birds to take to shows. I am also concerned with the tipped flight and tails. Most of the La Flèche I have seen online have this. Its not a major issue, but it can be a DQ. I will probably work this out last, as will others. But it is something to concern ourselves over.

On the first pullet it looks like her beak is just slightly misaligned, like maybe the top half goes a little to her left. Is that just the pics, optical illusion from color, there but not an issue...?
Sort of both. It was overgrown, and the portion that was not fleshed began to veer of to the side a bit. It has been trimmed to avoid damage to the beak.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom